Keeping pool/spa open for winter

Poiks

Bronze Supporter
Jun 22, 2019
McKinney, TX
We live in North Texas, first pool and first winter. Ours is a 14K gallon chlorine pool.

We are keeping the pool open for the spa, and although it’s been about six weeks since it was warm enough to swim, I haven’t changed anything in my maintenance regimen other than testing less frequently (weekly).

is there anything I should do differently in cold-weather months? For instance, I have considered the possibility that chlorine levels should be lower, since (I think) algae requires warmer temps to thrive.
FYI : typical readings
FC: 7.5
pH: 7.6
TA: 80
CH: 525
CYA: 72 (I think this was from the pool maintenance company using lots of chlorine tablets before I took over the process myself)

No change. You’ll find that your daily chlorine consumption is a lot lower, but your targets are the same.

You should also be aware that your CSI is impacted by the cooler water temperature, so you’ll likely need to keep your PH a little higher. Use the pool math app or web page to calculate it.

P,

I would not keep the FC any lower, but you will find that it will not burn off very fast, so it will take very little chlorine to keep the level up.

I basically change nothing going from Summer to Winter, except I add Liquid Chlorine in the winter as my SWCG does not work once the water temps get below about 52 degrees.

I also don't need to test near as often..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.