Keeping pool open in winter in Nashville, TN

esjenkins

May 30, 2020
Nashville, TN
Hello...first time pool owner. We have a 17k fiberglass pool. Was thinking about leaving pool open this first winter.

We have a heat pump but I will be draining that before winter.

What measures can be take in the unlikely scenario of a power outage during freezing temps?

Do I just drain the equipment on the pad and hope for the best?

Thanks.

Welcome to TFP! Nice to meet you!

The power outage scenario is a good thing to think about! What I would do is read over this link: Closing an In Ground Pool - Trouble Free Pool Pay close attention to the blowing out the lines and such.

I keep my above ground pool open BUT I am in Fl so only have a couple/few days of freezing weather and just run the pump to keep the water moving.

Welcome to TFP :)

A generator comes to mind, like a whole house one.. Other than that I am not sure what else could be done after you lose power... If you can drain the equipment pad that would be better than nothing... Maybe others will have some ideas :)

I would leave the pool open. Nashville's temps don't get so cold as cause damage as long as the pump runs.

If the power goes out, simply drains everything above ground and hope for the best. Again, the climate is moderate enough there I don't guess you will have any issues

Thought I would resurrect this thread. Also in Nashville and thinking about doing to same. Would really enjoy being able to take a brisk dip on New Years day. It's not uncommon to close the pool, then deal with unseasonably warm days and the water gets very funky. I do not have a cover. But if I have a gas heater, is there any value in setting the temp just above freezing to avoid any damage when we do get the occasional deep freeze?

Hello...first time pool owner. We have a 17k fiberglass pool. Was thinking about leaving pool open this first winter.

We have a heat pump but I will be draining that before winter.

What measures can be take in the unlikely scenario of a power outage during freezing temps?

Do I just drain the equipment on the pad and hope for the best?

Thanks.
Last year was our second winter with a pool, and we have not closed it in Clarksville, TN. The cold snap last winter was quite a scare. I kept my pump running 24/7 during that spell and covered the equipment pad with a tarp and blankets and put a couple of 100 watt bulbs underneath the tarp for heat. I also put a pool noodle in the skimmer in case the skimmer froze so it wouldn't break the housing. I would clear the skimmer of slush every day. I made it through unscathed but it was a real harrowing time. My plan was that if we lost power I would drain the equipment and hope the pipes underground didn't freeze. I'm still debating what to do this year. 1625404403453.jpeg

Reactions: jasonwbaggett
Thought I would resurrect this thread. Also in Nashville and thinking about doing to same. Would really enjoy being able to take a brisk dip on New Years day. It's not uncommon to close the pool, then deal with unseasonably warm days and the water gets very funky. I do not have a cover. But if I have a gas heater, is there any value in setting the temp just above freezing to avoid any damage when we do get the occasional deep freeze?
And no, it is not advisable to use your heater to keep water from freezing, according to previous posts here and the heater manufacturers' advice.

Reactions: jasonwbaggett
Last year was our second winter with a pool, and we have not closed it in Clarksville, TN. The cold snap last winter was quite a scare. I kept my pump running 24/7 during that spell and covered the equipment pad with a tarp and blankets and put a couple of 100 watt bulbs underneath the tarp for heat. I also put a pool noodle in the skimmer in case the skimmer froze so it wouldn't break the housing. I would clear the skimmer of slush every day. I made it through unscathed but it was a real harrowing time. My plan was that if we lost power I would drain the equipment and hope the pipes underground didn't freeze. I'm still debating what to do this year. View attachment 351851
Hey Jason! Kool last name! Hey we just put in a pool in Clarksville also. Do you have a water line that feeds a slide running under the concrete pad? I put one in for future use of a slide and plugged it off. It's below the concrete and has foam pipe insulation wrapped around it. You think that will be ok or should I pull the plug out, place an elbow on it a run a pipe back to the pool to keep that water flowing also? Same town, sam last name, maybe we'll run into on another sometime!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.