Keeping pool open in winter in Nashville, TN

esjenkins

May 30, 2020
Nashville, TN
Hello...first time pool owner. We have a 17k fiberglass pool. Was thinking about leaving pool open this first winter.

We have a heat pump but I will be draining that before winter.

What measures can be take in the unlikely scenario of a power outage during freezing temps?

Do I just drain the equipment on the pad and hope for the best?

Thanks.

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Welcome to TFP! Nice to meet you!

The power outage scenario is a good thing to think about! What I would do is read over this link: Closing an In Ground Pool - Trouble Free Pool Pay close attention to the blowing out the lines and such.

I keep my above ground pool open BUT I am in Fl so only have a couple/few days of freezing weather and just run the pump to keep the water moving.

Reactions: cowboycasey

cowboycasey

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 3, 2013
Fletcher, OK
Welcome to TFP :)

A generator comes to mind, like a whole house one.. Other than that I am not sure what else could be done after you lose power... If you can drain the equipment pad that would be better than nothing... Maybe others will have some ideas :)

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
I would leave the pool open. Nashville's temps don't get so cold as cause damage as long as the pump runs.

If the power goes out, simply drains everything above ground and hope for the best. Again, the climate is moderate enough there I don't guess you will have any issues