Keeping pool closed for extended period

Jul 13, 2015
Central Indiana
Greetings all - I am contemplating keeping my pool closed for the upcoming pool season and would love to hear feedback regarding possible issues that I may encounter by keeping it closed for an extended period.

I am in the mid-west and my pool season runs from April/May to roughly October. Due to out of town work - I may be gone for 10 - 11 weeks this upcoming pool season/summer...gone for 5 weeks and back for 2 weeks then gone again for 4 -5 weeks.

The pool was closed/winterized this past October and all is well. My pool cover is the tarp cover type.

July and August in the mid-west can easily produce heat in the 90's along with lot's of stormy weather. By keeping it closed during the summer - I fully expect algae and such to take hold - this I can try and prevent before hand and/or correct after the fact. I am concerned about other issues that I may not be aware of that may come with having a cover on during the summer with temperatures in the 90's.

I am not sure what - if any stress would be put on the equipment by not opening for a year. I would really like to avoid opening if at all possible due the amount of maintenance needed when storms happen with leaves, twigs and wildlife falling in the pool - not to mention keeping the water balanced.

Any thoughts, options or ideas are greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

@Gregory C: I don't have much info to offer.
  • But I would say that since you know your personal circumstances (or absences in this case)
    • leaving it closed....
    • checking to make sure everything is secure when you get home for those 2 weeks and possibly even dumping in some liquid chlorine, to try and slow any outbreaks
    • should be "fine" (in a relative sense)
I would personally do a SLAM Process (for peace of mind) once you are home this fall, which will require opening and "closing" for winter. But if you close your pool "clean" you set yourself up for a "happy" opening or passing next swim season.

@Gregory C: I don't have much info to offer.
  • But I would say that since you know your personal circumstances (or absences in this case)
    • leaving it closed....
    • checking to make sure everything is secure when you get home for those 2 weeks and possibly even dumping in some liquid chlorine, to try and slow any outbreaks
    • should be "fine" (in a relative sense)
I would personally do a SLAM Process (for peace of mind) once you are home this fall, which will require opening and "closing" for winter. But if you close your pool "clean" you set yourself up for a "happy" opening or passing next swim season.

Thanks for the reply and the good advice.

Yes - nothing better than pulling the cover in the spring and having clear water...makes it so much easier! I think a SLAM is on the fall schedule now.

Reactions: splashpad
Whether used for daily chlorination or during extended periods of absence, a Salt water Generator simply converts salt (added separately to the water) into free chlorine. SWGs are very popular with pool owners who wish to break the chains of manually adding chlorine/bleach. There's an up-front cost for any SWG which for most just about breaks even with bleach over the life of the SWG. So there's the initial purchase, then it needs to be installed. But for some the convenience outweighs the initial cost. If that's an option for you, it may be worth looking into.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.