Seminole, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
So, we just had our first pool day of the season. Ran the heat pump to get us to 88-89 (ahhh)
Highs all week will be in the 80s. We have a solar cover we are now using whenever we aren't in the pool.
What's the best way to keep the pool swim-ready, temp-wise? Run 2 speed pump on low 24/7, or set the timer to turn off when we are done for the evening, and start back up early morning? Or something else?

Unless you need to run the heat pump, turn the pump off. Solar cover on. That will retain the most heat.

Thanks! It went from 89 last night to 86 this morning, with the pump off and the "solar cover" (e.g. bubble wrap) on. It will just take the heat pump a little while to get it back up to super comfy again.

Last edited:
I am a little confused what you are looking for. Your heater has a thermostat in it. When the heater is on, does your pump also run? Heaters are designed to be set and forget. Set a temperature you want to maintain and let it do its thing.

My pump is on a timer. The heater only runs when the pump is on, not the other way around. I have all Hayward equipment, and Aqualogic automation. If there's a way to do what you suggest, I hope someone will weigh in. Thanks!

I am not sure but I feel like your system is setup wrong, especially if you have automation. For my system calling for heat automatically turns on the pump and I can even set the speed it runs when heat is called for. In addition, my pump continues to run for awhile after the set point is reached and the heater turns off for a cool-down heater period.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.