Keeping free chlorine in the right range

Drkitty

May 3, 2021
Belleville, Ontario
I would just like some confirmation that I’m understanding TFP’s pool maintenance system correctly...My CYA is at 50, so the recommended range in Pool Math for FC is 4 to 8 ppm. The FC level drops by about 3 ppm (sometimes 4) during the day, so I am using 8 as my target when replenishing the chlorine in the evening to be sure it never drops below 4. Is this the right way to manage it or can I use a target anywhere in the 4 to 8 range and just be sure it’s in the range overnight?

Thanks to anyone who can hold my hand here.

Kitty,

Your minimum is 4.. Your target to 6 to 8.

Technically your are correct that keeping your FC between 4 and 8 will work.. The problem is if you use that approach it is too easy to drop below 4 if you are not watching it like a hawk.

There is a huge downside of going too low, and there is almost no downside for going a little high. Your max or SLAM FC is 20...

I personally like to try and always keep my FC at or above my Target..

Thanks,

Jim R.

You are all over it.. You can go over the target if needed... If FC is dropping to 4 every day and you are losing 4 FC daily try taking it to 9 or 10...

Do this today, take you FC to SLAM level of 20... let your FC drift down to 7 and add chlorine to 9...

See what your FC is the next day... I would guess it will be about 6 > take it back to 9 > rinse and repeat daily :)

This is peak season now. Day length, high temps and high pool use are driving peak FC loss daily. Dosing slightly above your high target range now may be required in order to keep your sanitation levels safely in the target zone all day.

Yes, it’s peak season for the sun and also for the beautiful but insanely messy Linden tree that is hanging right over our pool. I can’t change the skimmer socks fast enough to keep up with the flower petals that tree is dropping. I’m sure it is helping to use up chlorine every day. So I’ll do as Cowboy suggests, take it up to 20, then use 9 as a target, not letting it drop below 6. I was worried about the free chlorine being too high and bleaching the liner, but read a bit about that and it seems to be not much of an issue.

Thanks all for your help. P.S. Never plant a Linden tree right next to a swimming pool. Can’t wait for seed dropping season.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.