Keeping FC up

DMS2014

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Houston, Texas
So we bought a new SWG last year. Our pool is almost 20 and have a 40 SWG. Right now we r at 80%. Our old SWG, we were never that high. I don’t understand that with the correctly sized SWG, we r still fighting to keep the FC up

Pool company set our run times when we built the pool. Kinda wondering how to handle. Any thoughts? Run time is 7-7 with 9-4 at 2500 for the SWG. We haven’t changed it bc it worked. CYA is 60

Thoughts?

Doesn’t Houston get considerable rain? If so, it may have diluted it some. Check your CYA. You would probably get better performance out of your SWG if you bump your CYA up to 70.

DMS,

Not all 40K SWGs are alike. Different models produce varying amount of chlorine gas (lbs. per day).

Normal daily FC loss during the swim season can range from 2-4 ppm. Do you know how much FC your SWG should be producing, based on runtime and percentage? If not, post the model and total daily runtime of your SWG and we can help you out.

It may be a good idea to do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to rule out algae.

DMS,

Not all 40K SWGs are alike. Different models produce varying amount of chlorine gas (lbs. per day).

Normal daily FC loss during the swim season can range from 2-4 ppm. Do you know how much FC your SWG should be producing, based on runtime and percentage? If not, post the model and total daily runtime of your SWG and we can help you out.

It may be a good idea to do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to rule out algae.
how do I figure that out? (runtime)

Get your FC to target range first, then use Pool Math to calculate SWG runtime/percentage to maintain FC based on daily loss. For my pool, in full sun, I lose ~3 ppm daily. Your loss should be similar, so this may be a starting point.

Use Pool Math and click on the "FC" tab. Make sure volume is correct. Enter 0 for current and 3 for target levels.

Select "SWG" for sanitizer type and click the search icon (magnifying glass). Select your SWG from the list to populate the Output box. Output shows chlorine gas production in lbs. per day.

Select how you want PM to make the calculation, either "Pump Hours" or "SWG Cell%".

Enter the amount of hours or percentage to make the calculation.

In the example below, I run pump 9 hours at 80% to raise FC by 3 ppm daily...

1655565866008.png

Get your FC to target range first, then use Pool Math to calculate SWG runtime/percentage to maintain FC based on daily loss. For my pool, in full sun, I lose ~3 ppm daily. Your loss should be similar, so this may be a starting point.

Use Pool Math and click on the "FC" tab. Make sure volume is correct. Enter 0 for current and 3 for target levels.

Select "SWG" for sanitizer type and click the search icon (magnifying glass). Select your SWG from the list to populate the Output box. Output shows chlorine gas production in lbs. per day.

Select how you want PM to make the calculation, either "Pump Hours" or "SWG Cell%".

Enter the amount of hours or percentage to make the calculation.

In the example below, I run pump 9 hours at 80% to raise FC by 3 ppm daily...

View attachment 425239
Ok. I feel stupid here. I have the pool app but I am not seeing this screen. I have looked everywhere. I also went online here and found the calculator but i didn't see this screen either....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can you find this screen? If I click the FC tab, it's opens a new window.
View attachment 425399
yes, I did click on that and I got: It starts with CYA and then recommended SLAM and that's it. So odd. I don't feel so stupid now as you are showing me exactly what I have but you have BOR and CSI and I don't have that chosen and that's it.

Were you able to open the FC screen?
yes. it is what I said above, just talks about CYA and here is my Home Screen that the home button does nothing and the other is what I get if I click on FC…hope this helps explain what I am looking at

Attachments

• 451C2323-170D-4EB5-94B3-8BBE25F86C9B.png
    451C2323-170D-4EB5-94B3-8BBE25F86C9B.png
    397.6 KB · Views: 7
  • A44DF07C-3B99-4859-8B3C-1E1082BC9D8E.png
    A44DF07C-3B99-4859-8B3C-1E1082BC9D8E.png
    466.6 KB · Views: 7

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.