Keep pool from freezing in Zone 5 and use hot tub for 'Scandinavian spa"

johnkim2020

Aug 2, 2020
Canada
HI,

I'm in Toronto Canada so Zone 5 winter.

I have a FB pool with built in hot tub. I read another Canadian that kept his pool open in winter here so I'm wondering how feasible it is.

Equipments:
1. Leisure Pool Ultimate 35 with hot tub
2. Coverstar automatic cover
3. Raypak 340k gas heater

Goal:
1. Keep main pool open and above freezing
2. Keep hot tub open
3. Take nice dip in hot tub and jump into cold water

I understand if cost is no object, pool can be heated even in artic condition but can this be done at a reasonable cost to prevent pool/pump/pipe from freezing so I can utilize the hot tub and do polar swim?

Power outage can be solved by hooking up a small diesel generator. Is it a bad idea to use coverstar in freezing condition? I imagine the track/motor might seize up. Perhaps get a solar cover just for winter?

I know the easiest solution is just wait for summer but the allure for soaking in a hot tub on a snowy day is very appealing.

I'm not sure it's as easy as you describe. Your pool pad needs to be enclosed and the heater will need to vented through the structure. The spa isn't insulated and neither is the pool. It'll be very difficult to keep the shallow pipes from losing the heat it brings from the heat source.i think you'd be risking alot for a little comfort at a very high price tag to say the least. This is where a stand alone hot tub comes into play.

Reactions: johnkim2020
Usually not a great idea, and one of the reasons those fiberglass pools with the built in spas don't sell so well in the frozen north. Most autocover manufacturers don't recommend using their covers as a winter cover, though I'm not sure what they would say about using their covers in the winter. I can say they are a massive pain to clear off, I spent all day today clearing snow and ice off of two customer's covers who didn't close their pools in time. I'm also curious about the plumbing, would you intend to use the spillover feature? Or just switch to pool when the temperature drops too low? Like @wireform said, it's going to be a very high price tag to keep it running all winter. The heater will probably be running almost nonstop, and the risk of damage to the lines and cover is pretty high.

Reactions: johnkim2020
I'm not sure it's as easy as you describe. Your pool pad needs to be enclosed and the heater will need to vented through the structure. The spa isn't insulated and neither is the pool. It'll be very difficult to keep the shallow pipes from losing the heat it brings from the heat source.i think you'd be risking alot for a little comfort at a very high price tag to say the least. This is where a stand alone hot tub comes into play.
Thanks.

My current equipment pad is not enclosed but I can build an enclosure with insulation and climate controlled.

In the pool season, I keep my pool heated to 86 when night temperature could be as low as 50.

I understand shallow pipes and uninsulated pool shell will lose heat to ground but what's the difference between heating pool to 86 from 50 in pool season vs maintain pool at 50 in winter when air temp is 20?

Usually not a great idea, and one of the reasons those fiberglass pools with the built in spas don't sell so well in the frozen north. Most autocover manufacturers don't recommend using their covers as a winter cover, though I'm not sure what they would say about using their covers in the winter. I can say they are a massive pain to clear off, I spent all day today clearing snow and ice off of two customer's covers who didn't close their pools in time. I'm also curious about the plumbing, would you intend to use the spillover feature? Or just switch to pool when the temperature drops too low? Like @wireform said, it's going to be a very high price tag to keep it running all winter. The heater will probably be running almost nonstop, and the risk of damage to the lines and cover is pretty high.
Thanks for the insight. I think I will maintain spillover on normal operation (keep pool at 5-8celsius) to prevent freezing and turn to spa mode when I want to heat up spa to 96.

Check your pool heater documentation. Running it continuously at low water temperatures will destroy the heat exchanger.

understand shallow pipes and uninsulated pool shell will lose heat to ground but what's the difference between heating pool to 86 from 50 in pool season vs maintain pool at 50 in winter when air temp is 20?
The unit is greatly affected by the ambient air temps. It’s exactly like an AC unit struggling at 100 degrees but the same unit can coast along at 75 degrees with ease. The energy costs go through the roof when the input temps aren’t favorable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.