Orem, ut
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
First year dabbling with all this. I got the k-1001 at the local store because the pool was set up and the tf-100 was at least a week out with delivery. I'm confused because the k-1001 says it tests for Free Chlorine and the k-1000 says it tests for Total chlorine, yet all the instructions and YouTube videos for the tf-100 say to use the kit that is included (k-1000) to test for free chlorine.

Welcome to the forum!
The K1000 OTO test is for total chlorine. The YouTube and other items are not technically correct. The K1001 does test for Free Chlorine as it uses DPD reagent.

Under the circumstances you are using the K1000 OTO kit, you should not have any or less than 0.5ppm CC. So it has no effect on the test process. Most of us use the K1000 OTO only to indicate their is chlorine in the pool water, not how much. It is not accurate.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Reactions: Capopapo
The k-1001 is a DPD test. It tests for free chlorine, but is color matching and only up to 5 ppm. The k-1000 is an OTO test which tests for total chlorine and is also a color matching test that's only good (though not very accurate) to 5 ppm.

The FAS-DPD test that comes with the TF-100 tests both free and combined chlorine up to 50 ppm and uses drop counting instead of color matching so gives you accurate results to about 0.5 ppm. The OTO is ok for spot-checking, but it's mostly included because the pH test on the k-1000 is a pretty good and cost effective test.

Reactions: Capopapo
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.