JVA for pool cleaner

Surfnsnowboard3

Sep 22, 2019
arizona
First post, don’t kill me.
I just had a pool built. I have a Jandy automated system. I have a few JVA’s installed for the pool to spa switch and other functions.
There was not a JVA installed for the switch from full skimmer suction to the pool cleaner (penntair rebel). I was advised by my pool builder to simply turn that valve about 3/4 of the way when I want my pool cleaner to run.
My question is can I buy a JVA for this function instead of manually turning it? The “cleaner” JVA is currently “open” making me think I can. My next question is if I can and I install it and plug it into the “cleaner” port, how do I set up the iAquaLink so that it turns when I want the cleaner on.
Thank you

My question is can I buy a JVA for this function instead of manually turning it? The “cleaner” JVA is currently “open” making me think I can. My next question is if I can and I install it and plug it into the “cleaner” port, how do I set up the iAquaLink so that it turns when I want the cleaner on.

Welcome to TFP.

Manual is here --> https://www.jandy.com/-/media/zodiac/global/downloads/0748-91071/6594.pdf?force=1

See page 44, Section 7.1. Put DIP switch #1 on.

DIP Switch Functions
S1 DIP #1 ON- AUX 1 Controls Pool Cleaner
If you installed a booster pump for a pool cleaner,
the relay coil for the booster pump must be plugged
into the AUX 1 relay socket. If a non-booster
pump cleaner is installed, plug the JVA into the
cleaner JVA socket. Turn ON DIP Switch #1.

Thanks you for the response. Forgive me, but I have no clue what most of what you wrote means. FIrst off, I don't know if I have a booster pump, how can I tell? Secondly, how do I "Put DIP switch #1 on?" I just checked AUX 1 and my pool builder plugged in my waterfall from my second pump into that socket.

I'm kind of looking at what I do broken down. I just bought the JVA. It looks like it has one wire that would plug into the "Cleaner" portion of the circuit board. Assuming I plug it in that, what do I do next?

Last edited:
Open up the panel on the load center and post pics of the inside wiring. Both the top low voltage section and the bottom high voltage section.

You will need to move the relay plugged into AUX1 to a free AUX button. Do you have a RS4 or RS8? Do you have an unused AUX button?

I have an RS4. I have one unused AUX button (1 is waterfall, 1 is pool light, 1 is spa light.). Attached are the photos.

Attachments

• 7E94E677-803A-41DE-82D0-0DDBBBE3F330.jpeg
    7E94E677-803A-41DE-82D0-0DDBBBE3F330.jpeg
    409.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 099A7833-9206-49D7-8CBC-7D52B48ED746.jpeg
    099A7833-9206-49D7-8CBC-7D52B48ED746.jpeg
    365.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 81ACC523-4C0A-45BC-9A9C-ABAC3D05E411.jpeg
    81ACC523-4C0A-45BC-9A9C-ABAC3D05E411.jpeg
    448.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
You are maxed out with your RS4 since the first relay is used by your pump. You could put pool light and spa light on the same relay to free one up.

See your picture below. I labeled your relays, the light relay screws, and put numbers above the AUX Relay plugs.

- First, turn off the CBs to all of your pool equipment - pumps and lights and the Aqualink panel.
- There is a blue wire running from LIGHT1 A to LIGHT2 C - disconnect both sides and remove it
- Move the red wire on LIGHT2 - D to join the red wire under LIGHT1 B. Now both lights are controlled by LIGHT1.
- Above the Relays on the left are the AUX plugs. Disconnect the red plug into AUX3 (my label 4) and put it to the side.
- Take the red plug in AUX1 (2) and move it to AUX3 (4) AUX3 is now your Waterfall button.
- Run the wire for your new JVA up the left side low voltage raceway and across to the JVA connection on the right above LIGHT2 relay and connect it to the CLEANER socket.
- The DIP swicthes are to the left of the control buttons. Turn on #1.
- Power up the Aqualink panel and the pool equipment

Now you need to reprogram any schedules for your Waterfall Pump that is now on Aux3. You need to change the label for Aux4.

surgnsnow.jpeg

Wow that was detailed. That’s awesome. Thanks so much

couple questions...first, any reason I wouldn’t want to do all this and stick with what I have, including manually turning the valve to start the pool cleaner? Do most people do this manually? I can see the only downfall as far as the lights is they are all now on the same color/light show (spa and pool, 2 lights in pool, 1 in spa). I don’t know if that matters or if I’d ever want them different. Thoughts?

It's really up to you. If you don't like it you can always put it back the way it was.

Either way, you have a better understanding of your Aqualink system now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also, you said to disconnect the red plug in Aux 4 and set it aside. I never do anything else with that? What does that currently control?

Nothing. That is the one you disconnected the light from to free up Aux1 for the cleaner. You will end using three AUX relays and have nothing plugged into the second AUX socket (AUX1).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.