Just want to swim in my new pool

jkhobbs05

Jun 19, 2019
West Texas
My pool was just completed, plastered on 8/27, garden hose water fill completed on 8/29, pool builder put acid in pool on 8/30 and 9/4 with instructions to brush at least 3 times a day. Today we were given 25 pounds of balance PAK 100 (baking soda) and told to put it in over the course of the day and then we can swim tomorrow. The pump is running (I have not received any instruction on how to run any of the equipment that will supposedly be next Wednesday).
I asked about adding chlorine and they said do not worry about it, tabs are in the chlorinator.
Pool company tested water today before the baking soda with numbers of pH 6.6, Total Alk 1, Total hardness 693, FC 0.1, CC 0.1, CYA 32
My testing with TF100 pH 6.7, Total Alk 0, Calcium Hardness 850, FC 0, CC 0, CYA <20

Is it safe to just swim tomorrow? I was going to recheck the pH and add chlorine to at least get FC to 3.

Thanks in advance for advice

Here are some links about starting up plaster:
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Here is a set of links for new pool owners:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Trouble Free Pool

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Do you know what kind of start up they did on the plaster? That will tell us what their end goal is.

I am pretty sure they did an acid start up. Communication is not the best from this builder, pretty frustrating. And the TA truly was 0, when I added the reagents before starting to count the drops the solution was already at the endpoint (red).
I will follow their instructions but still worried about 0 chlorine in the pool with just a trickle from the tabs they put in the chlorinator which I will stop using once all is going and the builder is gone.
Thanks for the replies.

You should just do what they say... It's in the contract that you have to, no?

Although the stinker in me would likely add some liquid chlorine and then act cool and guilt free when they test it and think the pucks are working out well.

Although the stinker in me would likely add some liquid chlorine and then act cool and guilt free when they test it and think the pucks are working out well.

**acting suprised**. Wow Mr PB..... you guys sure know what your doing !! Hehe

• Love
Reactions: frogabog
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.