sonnaps

Jun 11, 2022
NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am following the TFP guidelines this year as far as chlorine levels directly correlating to my CYA levels. Everything is balanced perfectly at the moment as follows:

pH 7.6
FC 7.0
CC 0.0
TA 110
CYA 45-50 (my best guess, it's so subjective this thing "when the black dot disappears")
CALCIUM 210

I test daily and I use liquid chlorine to keep my free chlorine round about 7ppm. It seems that I need to add 1 quart of liquid chlorine (12.5%) every day for my 21,000 gallon pool. Usually I test when I get home from work and the FC reads between 5.2-5.6 or thereabouts everyday so 1 quart usually gets it to 7 or just above. I usually add the chlorine around 7-8pm and let the pool run for a couple of hours more before I shut it off for the night. Then I turn it back on around 8am.

Once a week or less I need to add some muriatic acid (about 16oz split up into two doses) to keep the pH in check. After a few weeks I might add a little baking soda (2-3lbs) to bump the TA back up, and then repeat.

So my question is, does this sound about right? Keeping the chlorine that high each and every day? I am not damaging my pool liner with this consistent higher levels of chlorine? I read that CYA stablizes that specific amount of chlorine so that it shouldn't do any damage to anything. I just want to make sure I am good and hear from some of you who have been doing it this way for years.

I am using a Taylor K-2006C test kit for all my testing.

Reactions: Newdude
Sounds darn near perfect. You are adding 1.5 ppm FC per day.
Be sure to not lower the pH below 7.6 or so. No need. Let it get to 8 before adjusting.

TA can come down to 50 ppm

Now that we're coming into peak summer here in Central PA, I'll burn 3-4ppm per day easily so adding a quart does not surprise me.
CYA always rounds up to the nearest whole number so your CYA is 60 which puts your FC at 5, with target of 7-9. If your FC is in that range, you are not damaging your liner or equipment. The pool is safe to swim in with FC up to SLAM levels.

Also, for your pH and TA, how high does the pH get that you are adding acid? Does it creep into the 8s? Anything in the 7s is fine - otherwise you'll just keep chasing pH and TA in a non-stop cycle.

Sounds darn near perfect. You are adding 1.5 ppm FC per day.
Be sure to not lower the pH below 7.6 or so. No need. Let it get to 8 before adjusting.

TA can come down to 50 ppm
Awesome, thanks. I only adjust once I see the brighter red color on my test kit, so when it hits 8. When that happens, I shoot for 7.6. Should I not? What should I aim for?

I also have a pool heater, so is the 50ppm for TA still okay? I always aim for at least 100ppm just to be safe.

so when it hits 8. When that happens, I shoot for 7.6.
perfect.
I also have a pool heater, so is the 50ppm for TA still okay? I always aim for at least 100ppm just to be safe.
TA matters not to the heater. If you are raising your TA to 100, that is why you are adding acid. Let the TA come down and your pH will likely become stable.

Now that we're coming into peak summer here in Central PA, I'll burn 3-4ppm per day easily so adding a quart does not surprise me.
CYA always rounds up to the nearest whole number so your CYA is 60 which puts your FC at 5, with target of 7-9. If your FC is in that range, you are not damaging your liner or equipment. The pool is safe to swim in with FC up to SLAM levels.

Also, for your pH and TA, how high does the pH get that you are adding acid? Does it creep into the 8s? Anything in the 7s is fine - otherwise you'll just keep chasing pH and TA in a non-stop cycle.
I only adjust once I see the brighter red color on my test kit, so when it hits 8. When that happens, I shoot for 7.6. I know what you mean about chasing and a non-stop cycle, I think I did that last year. Now I am much more lax about the pH and TA and not going crazy trying to keep it perfect.

Continue to listen to the pool. It will not listen to you. :) You're doing GREAT.

Be on the lookout for the next increase in UV demand. We're mostly to feeling like summer but not quite there to the high 90s / triple digits yet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.