Maggie263

Apr 14, 2021
Kansas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
As suspected, I have 0 chlorine, and PH is 7.5. I have entered this into pool math app. How do I know how much chlorine to add? Obviously I want to SLAM just not sure where to start.

I should add that my bottles of bleach are 81 oz and 7.13% available chlorine.
That size bottle is not in the app. You will just have to enter the concentration (I bet it is 8.25%, check that) and use ounces.

In the Overview screen of the app, touch the FC box. It will take you to the screen for FC addition. You must have your current CYA test entered for the system to work.
Please share your Poolmath data.

21 ounces of 6% = ~1ppm in YOUR pool
15 ounces of 8% = ~1ppm in YOUR pool
13 ounces of 10%= ~1ppm in YOUR pool

Remember if you use bleach- No Clorox, no Cloramax tech., no additives, thickeners, scents or other foo-foo stuff. Just PLAIN type bleach. Liquid chlorine is a good option too.

if you are wondering how I got those figures, I used the classic web version of PoolMath found at the bottom of the page on computer. Try it out and you'll find it enormously helpful.

Maddie :flower:

My pool is now a medium made color. I had an FC of 0, CYA of 40, so I put all my numbers into pool math and added the recommended amount of bleach. Within a half hour the chlorine is now a 7. To achieve SLAM the app recommends FC 16. So, my question is when do I add more? I know I want to get it up to 16 a couple of times then do the overnight test. Do I just let this keep going and see if the FC goes up more?

To achieve SLAM the app recommends FC 16. So, my question is when do I add more?
You add to reach SLAM level anytime it dips below. Obviously if that’s between testing you don’t know, which is why we recommend frequent testing so you *maintain* the slaM level. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay, so 30 minutes from 0-7, do I keep adding more until it reaches 16 or wait a little longer
30 minutes is plenty to make sure it’s good and mixed. If you haven’t reached your target at that point , or you reached your target and already used up a lot of FC, Then add again and retest (after mixing) to verify you are at the target.

It goes quick at first and testing every 2 hours is ideal. Anytime below SLaM level makes it take longer. Of course life gets in the way sometimes. Or sleep. So you do the best you can staying on top of it. :)

Reactions: thefloatqueen
Finally reached the desired FC SLAM level! Pool math suggested 16 and I'm at 17.5. Pool is cloudy and blue but looks so much better then the unveiling of the brown dark green Pond of Saturday!

FC fell back to 13 and is now back up to 16.5. 16 is the recommended slam FC. Do I just let this set for the rest of the night and see where we are tomorrow? Would it be best to bring back up to 16 again tomorrow, then let it fall back to a normal level?

When we opened our pool it was the color of first picture. (Saturday) Started the slam process late in the day on Sunday. My slam level is 16 so keeping it pretty steady at that, has come down to 13 and now it's up to 17.5. Water is looking so much better. Very cloudy yet. Cant see very far down. Husband was impressed that all I've done is add bleach. Yes, lots and lots of bleach! CC is at 0.5

Attachments

• 20210427_131603.jpg
    20210427_131603.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210427_131831.jpg
    20210427_131831.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210427_131827.jpg
    20210427_131827.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Reactions: Snoobug
Water has improved tremendously. As has our pump pressure and output. My questions is this; I know of the 3 criteria to end slam. Will the water just one day clear up? When using the powdered shock product, the water is murky until the level is back to normal. I'm trying my darndest to keep level at 16. However, I was gone for quite a while today and now level is way down to 11.5 theblowest it has been since this started. I'll keep trudging on...got up to 85 today and then water is tempting us. Even though it's a cloudy blue color.

First, as long as you can see bottom, you can swim up to SLAM level.

Are you following SLAM precisely? Are you using liquid chlorine? How often are you testing and dosing back up to SLAM level?

First, as long as you can see bottom, you can swim up to SLAM level.

Are you following SLAM precisely? Are you using liquid chlorine? How often are you testing and dosing back up to SLAM level?
You can swim up to slam level? The first 3 full days it was constant. The other 2.5 days I test 4-5 times. I'm out there all the time brushing and skimming and pouring bleach into the pool. I've been using pool math and add what it tells me to. So for the most part I feel like I've kept up with it pretty good. Cant see bottom of pool yet, however can finally see third and almost fourth step on ladder.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.