Tampa, FL (Specifically Apollo Beach)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
So I just started taking over my pool maintenance from the PB a few weeks ago. I’ve been having some issues with the PH staying pretty high. But aside from that it’s been fine.

Recently my Chlorine was really low. (.5 ppm), checked the SWG and all lights were green and running fine. I usually keep it at 50%. I turned on the superchlorinate feature and after 24 hours it didn’t go up much. Called Pentair and they said to get water tested for Copper, iron, nitrates, magnesium and phosphates. I took the water to the pool store and they don’t test for all those minerals. They did test phosphates and it came back at 2000 ppb.
Of course they sold me a bottle to bring down the phosphates. But I haven’t done it yet. I ordered my own test kit and I want to check it on my own. Also because my son is in town and using the pool all day.
Aside from that I am having issues with my TA staying high. My CH is at 300 and I was wondering if I should increase it.
CYA is at 30, pool store tested and showed it at 40. Pool store recommended 4.7 lbs of stabilizer. But Pool math calls for 2 lbs. 8 oz of stabilizer.
I ordered 7 lbs of stabilizer and will start with what PM is calling for.
Any opinions on how to proceed? What should I tackle first? Do I keep adding acid to 7.0 then bring the ph up and keep doing the same process until my TA is in range?
I attached a copy of my local pool store report. My test results are on Pool Math.7603F3EA-05A2-41D0-8B7C-DCEFFA9A6B58.jpeg

Phosphates are of no concern to pool water chemistry. Up to you if you want to do the clarifier treatment. Plan to clean the filter afterwards as it will clog up your cartridges.

Follow Recommended Levels. Do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if you have any issues.
Raise your FC with liquid chlorine to Target levels. Use the SWCG to maintain your FC levels.

Phosphates are of no concern to pool water chemistry. Up to you if you want to do the clarifier treatment. Plan to clean the filter afterwards as it will clog up your cartridges.

Follow Recommended Levels. Do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if you have any issues.
Raise your FC with liquid chlorine to Target levels. Use the SWCG to maintain your FC levels.
I added a gallon of bleach last night. That brought it up to 5ppm.
I already bought the Phosphates remover. Gonna give it a try, since Pentair seems to think it affects the SWG. Gonna get it in tonight. Leave it running for 24 hours. After cleaning the filter I will tackle the other items like TA and CYA. I ordered a 5 lb' bucket of CYA. My main concern is how to bring down the TA.

TA will decrease over time as you maintain your pH in the 7's. When the pH reaches 7.8 or 8, lower it to 7.4. It may only take a couple days to rise until your TA drops some.

Reactions: JayRi
TA will decrease over time as you maintain your pH in the 7's. When the pH reaches 7.8 or 8, lower it to 7.4. It may only take a couple days to rise until your TA drops some.
Perfect thanks. I'll get the phosphate remover in, clean the filter and then tackle the CYA. Once I get things settled I plan on adding Boric acid. I like the look and feel of the water. If it can help stabilize PH swings that's a bonus.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.