Just Sign Pool Contract-and don't have a clue on maintenance

Aug 16, 2018
Avon, Indiana
Hey Everyone!
So 2 weeks ago we finally bit the bullet and signed the contract for a new pool build. We have been discussing and wanting a pool for the kids for 2 years now. Well now that it is really happening I am excited and nervous at the same time. I am so worried we are not going to be able to properly maintain it. Neither of us know much of anything about pools. I found this forum when looking for photos of liners to help me make a decision.

Pool Set Up:
18x40 rectangle
Steel walls/Vinyl Grey Mosaic Latham Liner
Hayward VS pump
Hayward Colorlogic lights
Activate Glass Media

I have been reading and reading but it all still seems so confusing. We are scheduled to build Spring 2019 so I am trying to get the basics figured out.
Any Tips Would Be Greatly Appreciated.

Thanks!!!!

Hi there!

My only comment on what you've mentioned is why the glass media? Sand works great, at much less cost. We've had quite a few folks who tried glass and a few years later come back to sand.

Sand has worked well and lasted for a bazillion years. It should be good for another :)

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: jarcher89
Supposedly glass filters out particle as small as 2-5 microns where sand only filters as small as 20-40 microns.

- - - Updated - - -

We are considering salt already. I am going to get ahold of our builder and see what the price increase is to add a swg. it might be more cost effective for us to not change our pool build with the builder and just buy the swg and install it ourselves after the build.

Supposedly glass filters out particle as small as 2-5 microns where sand only filters as small as 20-40 microns.

- - - Updated - - -

We are considering salt already. I am going to get ahold of our builder and see what the price increase is to add a swg. it might be more cost effective for us to not change our pool build with the builder and just buy the swg and install it ourselves after the build.

What state are you located in?

A sand filter is really easy regarding maintenance. In addition, you can add (which is highly recommended) a DE alternative, like Fiber Clear as this will produce similar results to what you are stating. My water has never looked better as this year if the first year with the Fiber Clear. In addition, I use skimmer socks all through the season except when leaves start dropping as I need more breathing room.

Consider an SWG over anything else. If not in the budget, have them install a dummy pipe (where the cell would be), and get it in writing. If not, purchase your own dummy cell and ask the guy to install it during the construction for a small generous tip. I had a waterfall line installed (never used) for $100 extra during construction. Do not have the PB convince you of a chlorinator, Ozone, or Frog type of system. It is either Salt or manual liquid additions.

:wave: Welcome to TFP jarcher89

" Do not have the PB convince you of a chlorinator, Ozone, or Frog type of system. It is either Salt or manual liquid additions." I second that for sure. :goodjob:

They have already added a chlorinator in the signed contract. I can just add liquid chlorine without using the chlorinator, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Indiana
I am definitely going to see if they can rough in plumbing for SWG because I am almost certain we will convert over.

They have already added a chlorinator in the signed contract. I can just add liquid chlorine without using the chlorinator, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Indiana
I am definitely going to see if they can rough in plumbing for SWG because I am almost certain we will convert over.

Ask for a change order and delete the chlorinator and add a SWCG. Size it for bigger than your pool so the cell lasts longer. The overall cost will be similar either way and it's much easier with the SWCG.

ok they also sold us a nature2 express mineral sanitizer. Is this even necessary?

Nature II is the Frog System (Same mineralizer and cartridges). No, not necessary. Please speak to the PB and change to SWG and get rid of the Nature II or even the chlorinator. They add metals to the pool water. It is like using 3" tablets with Copper/Iron to control the algae. They state you will save money by lowering your levels between .5 and 1 ppm (Hello where is the CDC on this one) and you still get algae, but the yearly cost is 3X what normal liquid chlorine would be like. Mine was removed almost immediately after 2 months. Luckily, no staining or problems with metals, etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In addition to Pool School I recommend reading this forum and posts from other new owners. Come back and check every few days, there are lots of new posts everyday. Others questions and the answers they receive will help educate on things you hadn’t even thought of.

Hi [emoji1309] We signed in December and were just like you. First pool with no idea! We now have a beautiful pool which is so easy to care for thanks to TFP. My advise is to spend as much time as you can reading here (the under construction posts are very useful) and download the pool school book. I had to read the book 3-4 times before things started to make sense since I started with pretty much zero knowledge. Also expect that there will be issues during the build. Very few builds are completely problem free. Don’t be afraid to request for things to be fixed or redone. It’s your pool and your money. I bet you’re all excited after two years of thinking? We are just coming into spring here in Australia. My boys have been using the pool during winter (with heat pump) but I’m really eager for some nice warm weather so I can swim too. It’s quite a journey but you’ve come to the right place.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.