Just realized my crapola pool has no coping? Should I just bulldose this thing already? :P

So I'm contemplating some work being done to out back pool area - it's in pretty rough condition at this point.

While I was scoping out options I realized that I don't see many (any?) pools done like mine. This was a flipper house that was flipped cheaply...ugh...

Anyway is this coping (really lack there of) even remotely normal or just another cheap trick?

Here's a pic from a post I made back in 2014...

Looks like it's just some bull nose tile?

At this point the tile is cracking and coming off... the pool paint is failing...the deck is cracking...and the white pool cage that they painted black is peeling terribly.

I'm thinking a bull dozer might be the best fix for this pool area. lol

All those things seem mostly cosmetic. There have been others on the forum with far worst situations and have done well to upgrade their pool. Is your pool equipment in good shape?
You could consider chip out and new plaster, repair of tiles (or just replace) if you put in new plaster.
It sounds as if you do not want the pool - then that is another whole set of options to fill it in.

It’s not uncommon although in some areas itPools can be done like that. They probably should have done it cantielevered so it overhangs the pool but you don’t have to have traditional coping. You can have concrete decking to the edge or cantilevered over.

You could do a Reno and put in traditional coping. or You can keep the decking and redo tile and plaster.

That is a pool tile meant for corners that they used ( funny thing you can only get that tile in Florida as it is not freeze thaw tile) there was no coping done, they just poured concrete up to the pool... If the pool was painted it will not last more than a couple years... You can chip out the old plaster and install new plaster and tile.. There needs to be an expansion joint done between the deck and the tile.. You can cut the deck and put coping in if you want... :)

Reactions: HermanTX
Things are cracking because there has to be an expansion joint somewhere between the pool and the deck. The deck and the pool need to be separate structures so they can move independently. When they are tied together they put pressure on each other and cause cracks.

To stop the cracking you need to fix the root cause and put in an expansion joint. Otherwise any fix will crack again.

The folks who renovated that pool were clueless about proper pool and deck construction.

Wow thanks for all the quick responses.

It sounds as if you do not want the pool - then that is another whole set of options to fill it in.
My kids would kill me!! :p

Nah, we really do like having it... I just hate having to work so hard to keep up with it for it all to still to look and perform so poorly.

I am definitely a DIY everything kind of guy but I am actually contemplating hiring this one out at this point.

I've prepped and painted the pool once with Zinsser pool paint and got about 2-3 seasons out of it. But the original paint (I have no idea what garbage the flipper used) was so poor it would chalk and turn the pool cloudy white at the slightest agitation. At this point the Zinsser is bubbling and peeling up and we're back to the cloudy pool from the paint underneath.

I was thinking IF (big IF heh) I decide to have one last go at it I'd probably completely remove all the previous paint first and then try one of those fancy two part epoxy paints. Probably better asked as a separate thread but anyone have any experience with those?

As for the pool cage...god I don't even know in terms of DIY. I see companies offering to repaint them but if that's going to turn out anything like it is now (black paint peeling and revealing white cage underneath) I think I'd rather just have it fully replaced or even removed. It's pretty sad to look at.

To stop the cracking you need to fix the root cause and put in an expansion joint
That makes a lot of sense. Yeah I think they had the patio resurfaced or something at some point and just did it as cheaply as possible. I can see a previous tile underneath the current tile where it has cracked... ugh..

Probably like 3-4 topics in here that should be separate questions.

Probably like 3-4 topics in here that should be separate questions.

Keep all your questions in one thread so we have the full story and don't ask the same questions over and over again.

I've prepped and painted the pool once with Zinsser pool paint and got about 2-3 seasons out of it. But the original paint (I have no idea what garbage the flipper used) was so poor it would chalk and turn the pool cloudy white at the slightest agitation. At this point the Zinsser is bubbling and peeling up and we're back to the cloudy pool from the paint underneath.

I was thinking IF (big IF heh) I decide to have one last go at it I'd probably completely remove all the previous paint first and then try one of those fancy two part epoxy paints. Probably better asked as a separate thread but anyone have any experience with those?

2-3 seasons is all you are going to get out of modern pool paints. The EPA has outlawed the chemicals used in old time pool paints that lasted longer.

If you are going to keep the pool then bite the bullet and plaster it and it should last for 15 years or more. Long term it is more economical and a lot less work.

Reactions: HermanTX
2-3 seasons is all you are going to get out of modern pool paints.
Yeah I keep reading that...ugh.

Here's the one I was looking at...

I read they warranty it for 10 years... However, I wonder if that's just a bunch of poo though considering they can always just fall back and say you didn't prep it right, etc.
...and to your point, it's not cheap at $200 a gallon!!

Wonder what a re-plaster would cost...

and if you want to DIY you can do that also

Wow that DIY re-plaster kit seems pretty cool. Although they mention not for a painted pool..so I'd def have to remove all the paint first. I've got a good pressure washer and plenty of tools but I'm probably not in a position to media blast my pool... although it could be a excuse to get that going lol... I like DIY because it gives me reason to buy tools :p

I dunno I should probably call around and get some quotes before making any decisions on DIY or not.

Reactions: cowboycasey

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
you also want to look at the old plaster, if it is delaminating and starting to be hollow you really need to chip it out and get back to a good surface to start with...

Wonder what a re-plaster would cost...

If you go for plain white plaster probably in the $10K range, maybe less. This is a bad time to get quotes as pool building is going crazy. Wait until it settles down and the plaster guys want some work.

If you go for plain white plaster probably in the $10K range, maybe less. This is a bad time to get quotes as pool building is going crazy. Wait until it settles down and the plaster guys want some work.
I think in Orlando, a replaster should be less... I am doing a new pool, but had a pebble quote for $6500. Of course, that doesn't include chip out and cleanup, but that was also pebble... I suspect you can get it done in the $7k range with a simple plaster or quartz finish. I did a quartz finish, chip out, and new tile in a very similar pool (no coping) back in 2005 for about $3500. That's irrelevant to today's world, but I never had any issues with the tile after replacing it as it was... I then added thin pavers over my decking years later with a bullnose paver coping and it looked great. I agree though, waiting a bit would be better. You can message me for some plaster contacts if you're interested in getting quotes.

Honestly, when I bought my first house with the similar pool, it had some issues, the new plaster and tile made it feel like a new pool. I lived there for 10-years with very little maintenance on it and it still looked great when I sold the house. I was young and not super interested in keeping it nice, but it stayed in really good shape with little maintenance.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.