Just opened pool - what now?!

Okay, I've been SLAMing the pool since Saturday and it's already pretty clear. All the algae appears to be gone and there's just a small amount of cloudiness left. I didn't get a chance to vacuum yet but I've been brushing it. First question, is it safe to get in to vacuum with the chlorine level so high? That's my only option for vacuuming. And second, what do i need to do now? I tested the chlorine level this morning and it held at 12 ppm all night.

First question, is it safe to get in to vacuum with the chlorine level so high?
Yes, as long as you do not exceed your SLAM level.
And second, what do i need to do now? I tested the chlorine level this morning and it held at 12 ppm all night.
If you had zero overnight loss, that's great. Your filter may need a bit more time to filter-out the particulates and dead algae. If it doesn't get clearer in the next day or two, you may need to add a small bit of DE to your sand. See Add DE to a Sand Filter - Trouble Free Pool

Assuming your CYA level is 30 ppm or higher, then 12 ppm FC is fine to get into.
You can safely swim in a pool as long as the FC is above the minimum and at or below SLAM level based on your CYA. You must also be able to see the bottom of the pool in the deep end of the pool.

DE for pools (do not get food or garden grade DE) can be purchased at pool stores, Walmart, Home Depot, etc. Check your local stores.

Stay at 12 ppm FC until you pass all three criteria for a successful SLAM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.