Just opened CYA 100?? How can that be?

Nar

Aug 25, 2016
kansas city
Just opened my pool 28' Not filled to top so about 17,000 gallons, round to crystal clear water, always drain down almost half.
Refilled and added 2 lbs trichlor without testing (I usually don't use trichlor anymore, just bleach but figured will use up this bucket)
Tested next day CYA 70, thats what it was when I closed last year and drained, so would think with half refilled it would be about 40, (why I don't use trichlor anymore) rained 2 days, now CYA 100. I know trichlor takes a few days to show CYA, but I can't believe one dose would raise my CYA that much. I don't see how it can be so high, my chlorine is 9.5 and CC is 0.5 and stayed at these levels 3 days now, ph low at 7.0, everything else is in range. My water is slightly cloudy, but I don't know if I should start slamming it or drain my pool again and start over. I am currently not doing anything but in disbelief that CYA could be that high, my test regents are not expired and stored in the cool, so know its not my regent bottles that are bad. I don't want to start out the season buying tons on bleach and waiting on CYA to drop through natural loss. Anything anyone can think of could make my CYA show high? thanks.

I am going suspect testing error. Because with replacing half the water the CYA level would not be the same and 2 pounds of Trichlor will not add 30ppm CYA.
What test kit are you using? It is not listed in your signature :whip:

Taylor, Its not my test kit being wrong, so thats why I am so confused. I have actually wondered could the black dot in my comparator tube be not as black as it should be because my tube is a few years old. I even had my grandson look to make sure it just isn't my poor eyesight. I am perplexed by this, I can't believe that much trichlor would do that either. Sorry, I don't know how to change my signature either, I can't figure how to edit on my account in my profile.

It is scientifically impossible for that trichlor to do that. It is basic chemistry. If you got vastly different cya readings then one of the test results was wrong

2 lb of trichlor will at 8.9 PPM of cya in 15000 gallons of water

I agree, Seems that way to me also, and when I test again tonight, its over 100, but it dosen't actually read past 100, the dot is just unseen before I even get to 100 mark. I have tested it at least 6 times now. I have always had trouble with high CYA for years, that is why I finally quit on the trichlor products, I just couldn't believe how fast they built up CYA in my pool. But to start out this way after just filling it is not making any sense at all. I maybe need to get another bottle of R0013 , mine has been stored well and dosen't expire until December, but I just like to figure things out if I can.

So your R0013 is about 6 months old, has been stored well, and used to work? R0013 is one of the most stable reagents in the kit and probably lasts years if stored well. I suppose it is possible to be bad but seems unlikely.

An idea might be to buy the 50ppm CYA Standard from TFTestkits and check your results? It only costs $5 or so.

No, I just drain it down, put algaecide in it and cover. Opened, crystal clear, added water to fill, Took me a couple of days to fill because I was gone a lot it was already getting cloudy because it's unseasonably hot here for the last month . Started filter and then just threw in a little under 2 pounds of trichlor. 70 after the TriCor and now over 100 (the water is still cold). But I know sometimes it takes a day or two before stabilizer tests out in the water but as the other guy said I don't know how It can raise it over 30 just for 2 pounds of trichlor. I think I will try that other test kit because I don't want to drain it half down and refill it and get the same result again and find out it is my test regent.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.