Just open my pool. Having issues with Hayward dual speed pump.

tbird2340

Jun 3, 2014
Youngstown, OH
I have the Hayward pump shown below. It’s eight years old and last year it started sticking when trying to turn it off and on but eventually started each time. I just turned it on the first time for the year after storing it in the shed over the winter. It had trouble again and then all of a sudden wouldn’t turn on at all. I watched a video that showed sticking a screwdriver in the back to give it a kickstart which I did and the low speed works. But the high speed doesn’t do anything at all even when I put the button too high. Not sure if a new capacitor would fix this or not. Any ideas?. Thanks

13EE82C8-FEEB-4C89-A207-4301AB7B255C.jpeg

Is there anything I can do to have it start more easily? It seems to be hanging almost every time.
Based on age and the tough elements outside, I would be concerned with corrosion that could be influencing how well the shaft and bearings rotate. If a few starts on low and running for a while doesn't help move freely, the motor may be reaching teh end of its lifecycle.

Thanks. Yeah it seems to be worse. I just went out to check the switch as you recommended and it actually does make some low hum on high originally, then after a few switches off/ on with the high button, it stops making any noise at all. Low continues to require a spin with the screwdriver to start it even after running for about 12 hours.

So a new capacitor wouldn’t address this, right?

So I got the new capacitor installed yesterday.. I fired it up and still had to kick start it on low, but now I could switch it over to high and it was running.. Let it run on high for a few hours then put the solar cover on and put it on low.. It ran all night with no issues.. Today I went out and put it on high and it was working.. I swept the entire pool and put in a bag of shock.. I go on a walk and look at the pool and it looks like the water isn't circulating..

I go out and the GFCI blew.. I reset it, turn on the pump, instantly pops.. Did this about 5 times with same results.. What is the deal??

And to answer your statement @mas985, the shaft turns easily with a screwdriver..

Thanks

This is the plug to the pump.. Last year it locked up at one point and continued to run and did that to the cord end and the gfci.. It worked after that though..

I just went out and removed the capacitor and tried turning the pump on.. Still pops instantly so I don't think the new capacitor is the issue.. I tried the pump in the bottom outlet and same results..

The GFCI seems to work fine otherwise, when the pump isn't in there.. The heater powers on fine (altho it's not running because no water flow)..

1652810094049.png

1652810116930.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
At the very least you need to replace that plug and cord. It is very burned and it likely has damaged the GFCI as well. How long is the cable from the outlet to the pump? You may need to get a larger wire gauge cord. A 12g cord should work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.