Silver Supporter
May 23, 2020
Dallas, GA, United States
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Looking forward to continuing to learn more about how to manage a pool on my own so I can get away from the pool stores and pool maintenance companies.

We bought a house with a pool in 2019 so we are very new to managing a pool and have used maintenance companies up until a month ago!

We have a large pool around 50,000 gallons and are currently using chlorine as our salt water panel board was dead before we moved in. Since then my dogs have chewed a cord or two so we have to replace our whole SWG chlorinator and panel and are currently saving up for that.

Looking forward to learning how to run our pool efficiently and as safely as possible though TFP.

We are located west of Atlanta GA and are looking forward to enjoying the pool this year!

Thanks!

So what products do you use in your pool? You have tried the Leslie's close to us but they don't seem to truly know what they are doing other than what spits out of the computer. I'm waiting on our test kit to come but I think we've pretty much got everything we need by the end of this week to manage it ourselves. But I just need to know what products to get and from where!?!

Thanks for introducing yourself and sharing your success with TFP!

You're going to be shocked (heh) -- we use bleach, baking soda, borax, and other household chemicals, which you can buy at the grocery store. The only specialty stuff is cyanuric acid, also called stabilizer or conditioner, and muriatic acid or granulated acid, which you can get at Wal-Mart in the garden section (that's where they have the pool supplies). Also 10% liquid chlorine -- it's just bleach at a higher percentage than regular bleach, which is around 6%. 10% ends up somewhat cheaper than 6% on a per ounce basis, and you can get it from Wal-Mart as well.

We use the test kit (either Taylor K-2006C or TF-100) to determine our chemical levels, and PoolMath to determine how much to add. Never step foot inside a pool store.

It's a cheaper, easier, more scientific way to take care of your pool, keeping it sparkling and blue. You're going to love it!

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Thank you all! Finally got my test kit in the mail last night and doing my first round of tests with the TF-100!

As weird as it is to take it in, all research shows bleach is the safest way to chlorinate your pool! Looking forward to saving money!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your cya is 60 as you always round up- there’s no betweens - how did u get 58?
Based on the FC/CYA Levels
You need to target 9fc with liquid chlorine daily as 5 is the min & u never want to go below
Use the chlorine part of the chart until your swg is back up.
why did u add soda ash? Your ph & ta were fine - it was a tiny amount (4.7oz) & likely had a negligible effect on either ph or ta so no harm no foul

Your cya is 60 as you always round up- there’s no betweens - how did u get 58?
Based on the FC/CYA Levels
You need to target 9fc with liquid chlorine daily as 5 is the min & u never want to go below
Use the chlorine part of the chart until your swg is back up.
why did u add soda ash? Your ph & ta were fine - it was a tiny amount (4.7oz) & likely had a negligible effect on either ph or ta so no harm no foul

I did not add anything yet. I was trying to figure out how to log a test and did it wrong. Okay then my CYA is 60 as it was just below the line. So I will update that if the app lets me.

Reactions: Mdragger88
?? Just do it at the next chlorine addition also you can delete log additions- just swipe to the left.
happy pooling !