Just had the vinyl pool (SWG) refilled after a repair, need some advice on raising CH (it's only 30)

nsa

Aug 5, 2022
South Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
It's 24 hours since the pool was refilled following a repair, although the pool water truck ran out so I had to fill the last foot with my hose pipe. I am surprised the CH is so low, previously I had it maintained at 210. I'll be putting the cover on the pool in 2 weeks, but I want to get my water chemistry back to normal before that.

FC: 2.0
CC: 0
pH: 7.0
TA: 70
CH: 30
CYA: 0
SALT: 2650

I will be adding CYA this weekend, and will also need to add more salt. Should I wait a little longer, or just go ahead and add calcium chloride? Any idea how much calcium chloride I need to add? Also, does that affect pH or TA?

I would honestly wait until the spring. You should be more concerned about balancing out the pH/FC. Then close it up and let it be.

As @Texas Splash posted, you have a vinyl pool so CH is not very relevant. Even if you did want to raise it in the spring, I wouldn’t go much higher than 100-150ppm. The SWG is better off with lower CH and your heater will be fine as long as you manage to keep the pH and TA up in a normal range.

Why are you wanting to add calcium? Unless you have a plaster product in the water, vinyl itself doesn't require it. Does your heat pump manual call for it?
I read for a vinyl pool, the CH needs to be 175-225ppm for vinyl. Mine is only 30, and thought it would cause damage?

On this site?
I am not sure, I had written in my notebook from somewhere.

I did find this here:
In a vinyl liner pool there is no need for calcium, though high levels can still cause problems, mostly from the scaling of calcium carbonate.
and also this:
250 to 650ppm, vinyl lower
and here says
50-550 (for vinyl and SWG)

I am still fairly new to pools, so if I don't need to worry about CH then I've learned something new today!

As stated above, no need to add calcium to the pool. Maintain proper pH and TA to protect your heat pump. If you have any foaming, then you may need to add some calcium, but that is unlikely in a pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.