Just got my tf100 first results now what

Not bad at all. How does your pool look? Are you using pucks at all, because your CYA is a little on the higher side. If so, take them out and save them for when you go on vacation. I see your TA is a little high-one thing to remember, when R-0009 is fresh, like yours is, it will tend to get so excited it wants to jump right in there with R-0007 and R-0008 and it will not form a full drop. Wipe the tip of the R-0009 with a damp paper towel between drops for the first couple weeks of use and this effect will eventually go away.

The mass understanding of pool care doesn't recognize the relationship between CYA and FC levels. CYA buffers FC and reduces its ability to chlorinate. If your CYA was 0 then 11ppm would be not good for swimmers, liners, or pool equipment, but at CYA 80, or even CYA 30, it's perfectly safe.

I would recommend not worrying about TA until your pH rises to 8.0 or so. At that point, re-test it using the method OTPirate says above, so that you can be sure you're adding the right amount of acid to bring it down. (Of course if you want to do it just for fun, you certainly could!)

If your water is clear and you're not losing chlorine except when the sun is on it (no overnight loss), and you have <1 CC, then you have no reason to lower the CYA. Just keep FC up in the 9-11 range, never going below 6.

You will have to let the FC get below 10 to get an accurate pH measurement, so keep that in mind. If FC is over 10 the pH measurement will show artificially high.

If you ever get a problem with the pool that requires a SLAM, you will probably want to dump some water as maintaining a FC of 31 for a SLAM would require a ton of chlorine. But otherwise you can let the CYA slowly come down through burnoff (in hot water pools can lose 5-10ppm CYA a month) or backwash/splashout and refilling.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Some people here swear by borates, some say they don’t see a big difference and it was a waste for them.

I saw one person say to keep your pool in TFP shape for a year or so before messing with borates. I’m gonna do that.

My Pool

Here is where I am at now after a more careful alkalinity test. As you can see I added more bleach.

Can someone tell me if I’m understanding this correctly. So because my CC is .5 and not zero the chlorine is fighting off algae in my pool (even though I don’t have any visible) and is that why I’m losing so much ppm per day? If I have to put 1 gal or 2 gal of 10% liquid bleach per day I’ll go broke. Not really but it’s a lot of money still.

In a 61k gallon pool that's probably not bad at all. I'm adding 1/4 to 1/2 a gallon a day in my 20k gallon pool.

Still worth doing the overnight loss test to confirm no loss of FC to anything but the sun. :)

1 gallon a day of 10 % for you is 1.6 ppm of FC added. But I do understand, depending on your bleach prices, that could add up if you needed more. Fingers crossed you never have to perform a SLAM. But, on the bright side, look at all the pool you get to enjoy! I’m jealous!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.