TFP Guide
Oct 20, 2017
Southern WI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My purchased used Weber Silver series grill I've had for ten years needs some new parts. While I could probably get new burners, my friend suggested I get a pellet grill, as he got one and loves it. You can both grill and smoke on a pellet grill, and I've wanted to get a smoker for a while, so with the Menard's rebates from building the fence for our pool this spring I just picked up a Pitboss 820XL pellet grill today. Got it going right now for the initial burn-off of whatever stuff is on it after manufacturing.
full

On the menu for tonight is a copy of Longhorn Steakhouse Garlic Parmesan Chicken that my wife found and wants me to make. While I'm hoping the pellet grill improves the flavor of anything we grill, I'm quite a noob when it comes to grilling, and I've never smoked anything before. So if you've got any recipes, ideas, or suggestions, I'm all ears!

When this thing first lit up there's some smoke, and man was that some good smelling smoke. I am excited to start using this thing!

Omg I'm in love! Not only did my wife pick an amazing recipe, but the grill is amazing!

The fire is in a fan draft forced fire cup. Normally it's shielded but if you need to sear you pull a lever and you've got a small section in the middle of the grill with direct fire for searing. Some of the chicken breasts needed a touch to add some brown to them before I took them off.
full

And here's the results after topping and broiling to brown!
full

Definitely got a smoke ring and has an excellent smoke flavor.
full

I cannot wait to use this again!

Reactions: Griff_Jo
Pellet stoves are AMAZING, I have one in my house for heat and it will stay at 72 degrees forever as long as you feed it :)

Welcome to the addiction. Get yourself a WIFI thermometer. I have the Tappecue Touch and love it. Up to 8 probes.

Pulled pork is an easy entrance. My boys love thick cut bone in pork chops with Montreal Steak.

I have a GMG Daniel Boone Choice WIFI about 2 years old.

Welcome to the addiction. Get yourself a WIFI thermometer. I have the Tappecue Touch and love it. Up to 8 probes.

You definitely want some time of remote thermometer. For us folks with BGE we also use devices to help stabilize the temp. The Cruise Control option for this thermometer looks pretty cool.

Flameboss also has one.

I have an old Stoker, which they dont make anymore, so at some point I will be in the market for a new one.

A lot of people recommend remote thermometers. Is that for smoking or general grilling?

Also in general I'm skeptical about stuff that's too smart for simple things. I specifically did NOT mind this grill didn't have WiFi unlike the more expensive Traeger grills. All too often the hardware and software experience of smart things is far from ideal in my experience. If a remote thermometer is all it's cracked up to be (again the grill supports two wires thermometers that display on the grill) then I'd probably go for one with a dedicated display and not a bluetooth/wifi version with phone app.

For us folks with BGE we also use devices to help stabilize the tem
What is BGE?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Smoked food is the BEST!!!! When it comes to rub makes sure to keep it simple and experiment with them same thing with the smoke different woods will produce different flavors. I have settled on post oak and my homemade rub. Pork butts are generally easy to cook try one of those. My favorite is a brisket cannot get any better than a smoked brisket.

Reactions: jseyfert3
I make moink balls and everyone loves them. I use frozen Harris Teeter meatballs. Thaw them and wrap with half a slice of bacon. Season with a good AP rub. Cook them till the bacon looks good. The glaze I make is pretty simple, Sweet Baby Rays and some Guinness beer, I mix them till it has a nice consistency to dip the balls in. Dip the balls, throw back on and let the glaze set. I do this with my pellet smoker at about 250-275. Cook for about 35-45 mins then another 5-10 mins to set the glaze.

Reactions: DanF and jseyfert3
A lot of people recommend remote thermometers. Is that for smoking or general grilling?

I grill 2-3 times a week, much more than I smoke, but I love the Thermapen. They are a bit pricey, but mine has been going strong for 5+ years and I use it all the time.

You want your steak medium rare, you can hit 130 degrees on the nose. Wife wants it medium well, that is covered.
Are you sure that chicken is done.... yes, cooked exactly to 165 degrees to kill the bad guys but not overshooting the mark to dry it out.

I can also use it when smoking to check on the beer can chicken, the brisket, etc. You cant leave it in the smoker like you would a remote thermometer, but if you grill a lot too the advantages of having instant read outweigh that IMO.

I grill 2-3 times a week, much more than I smoke, but I love the Thermapen. They are a bit pricey, but mine has been going strong for 5+ years and I use it all the time.

You want your steak medium rare, you can hit 130 degrees on the nose. Wife wants it medium well, that is covered.
Are you sure that chicken is done.... yes, cooked exactly to 165 degrees to kill the bad guys but not overshooting the mark to dry it out.

I can also use it when smoking to check on the beer can chicken, the brisket, etc. You cant leave it in the smoker like you would a remote thermometer, but if you grill a lot too the advantages of having instant read outweigh that IMO.

Yeah I have a cheap digital one I use all the time when grilling. Chicken is SO much better if only cooked to 165. Dry chicken is just so terribly tough. I also use it for burgers to target 160, though more tolorant of a little overcooking they are much better when cooked only as much as needed.

May have to get a themapen for the speed though, they say 2-3 second readings, mine is more like 10 seconds. That looks much better overall and had a really nice big screen. Of course it's also 6 times as expensive.

Okay, so with COVID, we'll be home for Thansgiving, just the two of us. My wife wants a turkey (I'm not a huge fan), but I figure we may as well smoke it since we can. Any good turkey smoking recipes?

Okay, so with COVID, we'll be home for Thansgiving, just the two of us. My wife wants a turkey (I'm not a huge fan), but I figure we may as well smoke it since we can. Any good turkey smoking recipes?
I dont have a specific recipe to recommend, but I would highly suggest brining the turkey.

Actually, I just found this on the Traeger website:

Its just my wife and I for Thanksgiving also. We have never brined a turkey, but we might do it this time. I just smoke the turkey at the same temperature that it says for the oven. I think around 375 degrees, but not totally sure. It usually takes about 4 hours for a 20lb bird.

BTW. You really want to surprise yourself. Use your temperature probe to measure you oven temp and see how far off it is. My BGE is more accurate and more consistent than any oven I have ever owned.

Also in general I'm skeptical about stuff that's too smart for simple things. I specifically did NOT mind this grill didn't have WiFi unlike the more expensive Traeger grills. All too often the hardware and software experience of smart things is far from ideal in my experience. If a remote thermometer is all it's cracked up to be (again the grill supports two wires thermometers that display on the grill) then I'd probably go for one with a dedicated display and not a bluetooth/wifi version with phone app.

What is BGE?
They're nice for smoking. Mine has a probe for the meat and one for the cabinet. Set an alarm for meat temp and I can set an alarm if the cabinet temp drops or rises too much. Of course, my smoker doesn't have a thermostat or other fancy bells an whistles.

Of course, my smoker doesn't have a thermostat or other fancy bells an whistles.
Ah yeah, it'd make a lot more sense for a non-temp controlled setup.

That said, the true low heat smoking isn't temp controlled. For temp, you have options between 200-475, with a HIGH option on that end and a SMOKE option on the low end. In smoke mode, the heat is regulated by the "P setting" where it changes the time between auger running. Not entirely why this did it this way, but I'll figure it out.

Its just my wife and I for Thanksgiving also. We have never brined a turkey, but we might do it this time. I just smoke the turkey at the same temperature that it says for the oven. I think around 375 degrees, but not totally sure. It usually takes about 4 hours for a 20lb bird.

BTW. You really want to surprise yourself. Use your temperature probe to measure you oven temp and see how far off it is. My BGE is more accurate and more consistent than any oven I have ever owned.
I haven't smoked a turkey in a while -- last time I did, I smoke smoked it. It took about ten or so hours. Meat was awesome. The skin, well... not the same.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.