Just getting frustrated

I used (at the direction of Namco) about 3lbs of their stabilizer product. They also tested my water and gave me the readings on page 1. I am going to use the 6-way hth test kit from Walmart (borrow my neighbor's) today after work while waiting for the tf-50 kit to come in (ordered yesterday).

And yes this site is awesome.

Still using crappy drop test (guess-work). Added some more bleach. Drop tests aren't giving accurate results due to chlorine - need my TF kit to hurry up!

See attached photos - Day 1/2.

Attachments

• 20120606_151752.jpg
    20120606_151752.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 152
  • 20120606_151803.jpg
    20120606_151803.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 151
  • 20120606_151819.jpg
    20120606_151819.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 151
Further frustrations!!!!!!!!

So I popped open the filter to check and see if it needs cleaning and what do I see? One of the finger's seams was ripped completely. Any DE in that particular finger went flying into the pool (yay!) and I didn't notice (might've happened overnight? I inspected it when I bought it and hooked it up to verify everything was working correctly). I have pictures if I can get my phone to connect to the computer.

I have a love-hate relationship with pool filters...

EDIT - Added a couple pictures. The first is the seam of the finger ripped... second and third are pool's current looks and condition. Drop test is still popping up deep orange/red (guess work still).

Attachments

• 20120606_184200.jpg
    20120606_184200.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 138
  • 20120606_191919.jpg
    20120606_191919.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 138
  • 20120606_191941.jpg
    20120606_191941.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 138
Have you been keeping a close eye on filter pressure? Having too much flow restriction with that big 2hp pump could have easily caused this. Perhaps try leaving the motor on the slower speed when you're not there to keep a close eye on the pressure would be a good idea.

RBK2001 said:
So I popped open the filter to check and see if it needs cleaning and what do I see? One of the finger's seams was ripped completely. Any DE in that particular finger went flying into the pool (yay!) and I didn't notice (might've happened overnight? I inspected it when I bought it and hooked it up to verify everything was working correctly).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I started the pump on high with 12psi and opened it with 15 psi. It wasn't the recommended time to open and clean but I figured I would check anyway.

Edit - Update: Water looked a lot more clear this morning, hopefully be able to see the bottom of the pool soon. I have been following the pool school recommendations and scrubbing the pool surfaces twice a day - early morning and late evening (dawn/dusk). Gotta against Walmart to pick up some more bleach after work. I LOVE this website.

Edit2 - I took your suggestion to heart Jesse and switched the pump to low today (my wife was off the last two days and she didn't see any pressure spikes).

Just added a bit more bleach to the pool (been adding about a quarter jug every hour or so except overnight). I am going to take a sample down to Gene Lilly pools tomorrow for a real test (not a dip-test). My kit should be here sometime Monday or Tuesday.

There's really no difference between tonight's and yesterday's water clarity... I'm hoping to at least be able to see the bottom to see what I'm brushing up and what I am vacuuming (primarily for the DE that was blown into the pool). I hope I'm not too far in the hole.

TFP recommends cleaning/backwashing at a 20-25% filter pressure increase. If 12psi is your clean operating pressure, 15 psi would be your prompt to clean/backwash. Again, I completely recommend running on high when you are there to monitor. You'll just be wasting electricity by running on high if you rupture another grid. The water will take the path of least resistance through the tear and hardly be filtered at all.

RBK2001 said:
Edit2 - I took your suggestion to heart Jesse and switched the pump to low today (my wife was off the last two days and she didn't see any pressure spikes).

First thing this morning I dropped another bottle of bleach in, still no noticeable difference between yesterday night and now. Is there anything else that could cause the cloudiness in the water other than algae?

It seemed like (last year that is) the pool was clear just lots of leaves until I started adding the store-bought "shock". I was dissolving it in water first but after adding it to the pool the next day the pool went cloudy. Earlier in the season when I first opened I used the pool store shock stuff because it was stronger to kill the algae left after draining and refilling.

So I cancelled my Taylor kit order and bought the one from Leslie's Pool (FAS-DPD test). Here's the most recent results:

FC: 24
CC: 0
pH: 7.4 (suspect - used drops)
TA: 80
CH: 200
CYA: 50

Water Color: Cloudy blue

Visibly the pool is the same as yesterday though I did clean the fingers on the filter again today (quite greenish-gray *deep gray, not a wet-DE gray*) as PSI went up to 16 this afternoon when I got home from work. I guess at this point I should maintain shock level to get the cloudiness to go away. Gonna test again in about an hour to check and see where my FC/CC levels are. I have not added anything but bleach since this process started; but, I have been vacuuming and brushing the pool in its entirety during. According to pool-school I should maintain until the water is sparkling clear and then do the OCLT is this the right course of action? I would take pictures but the pictures are the same as the previous ones.

You should see improvement every day now that you know your FC is at least at shock level. You will be done shocking when you pass all three parameters; OCLT=1.0 or less, CC=<.5, and the water is clear.

Have you repaired your filter? If not and you pass the OCLT, then the filter might be causing your water to stay cloudy.

Yea, I took that finger that was busted back to the store and they replaced it no problems (because the rip was on the seam and not through the cloth).

EDIT - If it is the filter I don't think it's directly the fault of the filter/pump. My guess would be from poor circulation (lack of use and limited rotation of the direction on the return). Is there another way to alleviate this? I am vacuuming and stirring up the water daily.

Busy morning but I did get a bottle of bleach in first thing and added another half-bottle about an hour ago test results:

FC: 22
CC: 0

Didn't bother with other tests as these are the ones in flux for right now. Gonna order another bottle of the reagents for it (R0871?) because they're being used quickly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.