Just fired the pool guy

No extra charge for chemicals. Just the monthly bill.

He was using test strips. I saw him barely dip them in the water. It looked more like he was painting the surface of the pool with them... :ROFLMAO:

When I first mentioned that something seemed off, he told me I needed a new filter. Charged me $120 for an $80 Hayward CS150E. Said that would fix it... which we all know it didn't. Then I bought test strips which showed the levels were through the roof. He dismissed those as inaccurate.

When I told him for the third and final time that the levels were way off (with proof from the TF-100 test kit) he told me to install an SWG for $980... Constant up-sell!

• Wow
Reactions: markayash
No extra charge for chemicals. Just the monthly bill.

He was using test strips. I saw him barely dip them in the water. It looked more like he was painting the surface of the pool with them... :ROFLMAO:

When I first mentioned that something seemed off, he told me I needed a new filter. Charged me $120 for an $80 Hayward CS150E. Said that would fix it... which we all know it didn't. Then I bought test strips which showed the levels were through the roof. He dismissed those as inaccurate.

When I told him for the third and final time that the levels were way off (with proof from the TF-100 test kit) he told me to install an SWG for $980... Constant up-sell!
WOW! "painting the surface"! He obviously didn't even read the instructions for using the strips! he got one thing right.. install an SWG. You can pay for it with what you are not paying him!;)

Can you hear this conversation back at their shop
Hey joe how many gallons of chlorine did you add today?
It was low so I added 25
Wait its a small pool right
I dunno but was low last week and I put 40 gallons in
This is the conversation I heard...
Boss: Hey Joe how many gallons of chlorine did you add today?
Joe: It was low so I added 25, but I told him I added 40.
B: Is that it! You know we want to perform better service than that...!
J: I dumped the leaf basket from the skimmer back into the pool so there is something for me to do next week.
B: Excellent

J: I dumped the leaf basket from the skimmer back into the pool so there is something for me to do next week.
The empty the leaf basket back in made me laugh and I needed that

OMG! Funny because its so true.

I have some extra time right now due to COVID. I'm going to start "Mark's Pool Service".

I'm going to charge a one time $265 fee. It includes a tft test kit ($165) and a TFP Gold membership ($100).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thursday 4/30 update.

@mknauss - with FC down to an appropriate level, this might be the first accurate reading of everything else.-

FC 7.5
CC 0
pH 7.8
TA 110
CH 250
CYA 50
81 degrees

IMG_4796.JPG @JJ_Tex - the color we've been waiting for!

Question on the TA Test:

2 drops R-0007 and 5 drops R-0008 IMG_4797.JPG

9 drops R-0009 IMG_4798.JPG

10 drops R-0009 IMG_4799.JPG

11 drops R-0009 IMG_4800.JPG

14 drops R-0009 IMG_4801.JPG

There is not difference between 11 and 14, so 11 drops is where the color stops changing. 11 drops x 10 = 110ppm.

Is that the right way to run the test?

Also, for the level TA should be, there are different levels on Pool Math (50-90) and the laminated card that came with the TF-100 Test Kit (100-120). Which do I follow?

CH is also different: Pool Math (350 - 550) vs laminated card (250-400).

Capture.JPG

Thanks!

I agree with Maddie. Use 110 in Poolmath to determine how much acid to use when you want to drop the pH.

Use the new TFP levels - see What Are My Ideal Pool Levels? - Trouble Free Pool
Laminated card from TFTestkits does not track our recommended levels. They have to use Taylor values since they purchase Taylor reagents.

Nothing to do to the water but monitor FC and pH. Keep FC in the target range as shown on FC/CYA Levels
When pH hits 8, lower it to 7.6 with acid.

Good job!

Reactions: kotuku
Reading through this thread and found it interesting. In the end it may have been quicker / better to just drain 1/2 the pool to bring your Chlorine levels down quicker (probably could have drained and refilled in a day). And, like someone else said, Holy Moly on that 1.5HP pump. Buy a new variable speed pump and put that 1.5HP up on Craigslist maybe?

Last edited:
Reading through this thread and found it interesting. In the end it may have been quicker / better to just drain 1/2 the pool to bring your Chlorine levels down quicker (probably could have drained and refilled in a day). And, like someone else said, Holy Moly on that 1.5HP pump. Buy a new variable speed pump and put that 1.5HP up on Craigslist maybe?
Then that would cause a fight at the water treatment plant
Who added too much chlorine to the tanks?
Not me
Somebody is not being honest, somebody did..No way it's that high on it's own :)

• Haha
Reactions: compren and kotuku
It has been a busy week of water testing (everything is in PoolMath). I am trying to get a better sense of how much chlorine is used on a daily/weekly basis. It seems like the pool, which isn't very big (4,200 gallons) needs roughly 1 cup of 10% bleach daily.

I was trying to lower TA a little by adding Muriatic Acid to get the pH down to 7.2 TA is now 90 from 120 (5 days ago).

Muriatic usage is about 3oz every 4-days. pH fluctuates from 7.5 - 7.9.

I just purchased a measuring cup to get a more accurate sense of how much bleach / muriatic acid I am actually adding.

It has been a busy week of water testing (everything is in PoolMath). I am trying to get a better sense of how much chlorine is used on a daily/weekly basis. It seems like the pool, which isn't very big (4,200 gallons) needs roughly 1 cup of 10% bleach daily.

I was trying to lower TA a little by adding Muriatic Acid to get the pH down to 7.2 TA is now 90 from 120 (5 days ago).

Muriatic usage is about 3oz every 4-days. pH fluctuates from 7.5 - 7.9.

I just purchased a measuring cup to get a more accurate sense of how much bleach / muriatic acid I am actually adding.
Nice, Things should settle down and shouldn’t need to add acid daily I wouldn’t think.
Now the family can swim and not have to worry about burning ?

Yeah it may have been quicker... but its not like his pool was in dire need of anything else that needed immediate attention., all the other chems were in line. So just wait until it drops on its own... beside it would have taken all the drama out of the thread. We need more denouement these days.

• Haha
Reactions: markayash
Yeah it may have been quicker... but its not like his pool was in dire need of anything else that needed immediate attention., all the other chems were in line. So just wait until it drops on its own... beside it would have taken all the drama out of the thread. We need more denouement these days.
Besides it helped whitewash planes that flew over

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.