Just finished building my in-ground salt pool.

MiggyV

Apr 9, 2020
San Diego, Ca
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi TFP family,

My wife and I just finished building our pool in San Diego, California. - The next step is the PebbleTec and then we are ready to fill the pool with water.

I heard we must wait to add salt to the pool for at least 30 days so we don't damage the PebbleTec. Is this true? If so, what do we need to do in the meantime, and when is it safe to swim?

I look forward to any recommendations and advice.

Thank you all!

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: You are correct - wait 30 days before adding the salt. In the meantime, treat your pool like a non-salt pool and balance the stabilizer (CYA) against the free chlorine (i.e. regular bleach or pool chlorine) as noted on this chart: FC/CYA Levels. That will keep the water clear. You can visit the Vital Links below in my signature for more references, and also use our PoolMath tool or APP. All of these are great tools. But yes, for the first 30 days, simply treat your pool as a non-salt and chlorinate manually with chlorine. I'll put a couple more links below. Hope that helps.

Welcome to the forum:wave:

If you are going to manage your own pool the way we teach, you will need either a TF-100 test kit or a Taylor K-2006C. test kit It should be in your possession BEFORE your pool is full.

Please read "The "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School......that'll get you started on all you will need for us to assist you.

That was my next question: what test kit should I buy? Thank you for the recommendation. I will purchase a test kit today.

So if I decide to manage the pool on my own it seems like the first month is critical for maintenance. After this period, will it become less laborious in your opinion?

Most of us think the TF-100 is a better value but either of those kits work fine.

You are correct. The first month is ALL new stuff but you will quickly get the hang of what we teach and it will all become automatic

Please read "The "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School........that gets you started.

Excellent. I just read "The "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" and feel more knowledgable on pool chemistry. I think this is a good starting point. I will continue reading the rest of the articles in Pool School since I am days away from filling my pool. The first step is getting a test kit. I'm assuming the TF-100 and Taylor K-2006C test kits test for FAS/DAD? Any recommendations on where to buy these? I see a ton on the internet, but I am wary on if I am looking at the correct kit.

The TF100 is available at TFTestkits.net. Add the Speedstir (you will want it) plus the K1766 salt test kit.

The K2006 C can be found on Amazon. Be sure you the C version if you get it there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Noted. Sorry for all the questions, but thanks for providing the necessary information thus far. I also have a spa in the pool (8x8), are there any additional steps I need to take when starting my pool? I know I should not run the heater for at least 2 weeks, right?

Where can I find the recommended sequestrant,
There are a variety of online sources. ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic the Pink Stuff (regular), the Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and the Purple Stuff (SWG) are some of the top sequestrants. You can also find other brands with similar products, some of which are noticeably less expensive. Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective.

Same with the brush since many local stores are closed right now. You'll see nylon bristles, steel, and some with a 50/50 mix.

Great, thanks. Since I'm doing owner-builder for my pool, the plaster company might now help me with the startup. I just want to prepare myself in this case. If they leave it up to me, with a pebble finish, do you recommend a traditional startup vs acid startup?

The TF100 is available at TFTestkits.net. Add the Speedstir (you will want it) plus the K1766 salt test kit.

The K2006 C can be found on Amazon. Be sure you the C version if you get it there.
Due to timing, I need to opt for the K2006 kit as I can get this today. Can you please explain why you suggest I get version C instead?

Like I mentioned in an earlier message, I had to purchase the Taylor K-2006. Unfortunately, I received the K-2005. Can I still use this kit and follow the TFP method for startup?

Like I mentioned in an earlier message, I had to purchase the Taylor K-2006. Unfortunately, I received the K-2005. Can I still use this kit and follow the TFP method for startup?
Yes. You should get the FAS-DPD test in the very near future. See FAS/DPD Chlorine & CC's test

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support