Just filled pool and leaking

kbradford

Jun 6, 2023
KCMO
Well we just filled our pool yesterday, and we're losing about 2" of water per day. They are coming in about an hour to turn it on, but I'm already trying to troubleshoot.

One area I'm immediatley concerened about is the skimmer. Attached are pictures. The access is on so tight I can't even open it, and then when I look in I see an uncut PVC pipe.

Is this skimmer not fully installed? Could that be a cause of the leak?

Attachments

• IMG_4666.jpg
    IMG_4666.jpg
    425.6 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_4665.jpg
    IMG_4665.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 114
Look around the equipment pad, the yard and behind/around the skimmer for any wet spots. That can help you find the leak sometimes.

Thankfully your pool builder is still responsible and will have to fix this issue.

Maddie :flower:

If you have any food coloring you can use it to test around fittings to see if you can see if it gets sucked in. There is also a leak detecting dye you can get at pool supply stores, it hold together much better in water than the food coloring.

The pipe you see is probably there to keep debris out of the skimmer line, they will probably remove it prior to starting the pool up.

Good luck, leaks can be a pain to find and fix sometimes - but many times it is simple and easy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
K,

Leak dye, is iffy at best.

Let the pool builder find and fix it..

I suggest that you see if you have the leak when the pump is off.

Also, if you just let it leak down, it will stop at the leak.

Most gunite leaks are at the..

Skimmer
Pool light
Pool returns
Main drain

Thanks,

Jim R.

Wanted to give an update on our leak. Contractor plugged the main drain and it seemed to help, so they replaced with a heavier duty valve and all seemed good. They also scheduled a sump line below the pool to run nightly for a couple hours

All seemed great until the last couple days. During the day it’s rock solid, but suddenly overnight we’re losing 1-2”.

The pump is still running 24/7, so the only overnight thing I know of is this sump line opening.

It had been working fine for 2 weeks, but now is leaking a ton overnight.

Any ideas? I plan to call the contractor in the morning.

They came out today and ran the sump line, put about 2 inches of water back in the pool. And now they've turned it off for tonight to see if we lose water. I'm really at a loss why it'd put water back in right now, but won't overnight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.