New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Our pool just got filled and we had pool school yesterday. My head is still spinning. I need add in salt since we have none. We put it two bags to start yesterday during pool school and he said to do another 3 today and then check where I am. I suspect I will need another 3-4 after that. Is this the right method?

Also, when do I start putting stabilizer in? I bought both granule (4lbs) and two gallons of Instant Conditioner from Leslies. Wait for chlorine levels to come up first or put it in now while I add salt? We set heater to 80 in hopes of jumping in this week with temps of 85 in NJ. Kids are dying to go in. Will then back off the heather to 70.

Appreciate any information. I have Taylor Test Kit 2006-SALT and will be checking levels as I get my salt up.

Great start. Can you fill out your signature so we know what type of pool, equipment, volume, etc?

You should add enough stabilizer right now to get your CYA to 30-40 ppm. That is a stepping stone to the level you will need for the SWCG. Also be sure you are adding liquid chlorine to keep your FC at 3-5 ppm. Once you get the salt mixed in and things settled you can start the SWCG.

I just updated my signature so hopefully you can see that. I only have tabs in the skimmer baskets as per pool company, but now I am realizing I should buy a floater instead. My test results yesterday said no chlorine. How many gallons of liquid chlorine do I need? Is this a pool store purchase?

Liquid chlorine is available at most Walmart, Home Depot, Menards, or Ocean State Job Lots, if you have one nearby.

Get some chlorine in the pool.

What volume is the pool? Can you add that, as well as what pump you have to your signature?

Can this be safely added to pool without hurting liner? Why did my pool guy say to always have chlorine tabs in the pool even when the SWCG is working?

What kind of tabs did they give you? One kind adds CYA and another kind adds calcium. I would check to see which ones so you have a handle on your CYA additions. Also, calculate how much salt you would need. Get a salinity test, as a baseline to calculate how much you will need. Then add about 2/3 rds of that.. mix and test again. That way you creep up on your target salinity. If you overshoot it the only recourse is the drain some water and we don't want to do that.

Why did my pool guy say to always have chlorine tabs in the pool even when the SWCG is working?
Because most are not too bright.
Once you have your CYA at the proper level and your SWCG dialed in, you need to test every 2 or 3 days to assure your FC is on track.
A pool guy will mess up your pool. Be very aware of what they add to your pool water.
Can this be safely added to pool without hurting liner?
Certainly. Much safer than the tabs that are in your skimmer destroying the skimmer and degrading your pump seals.

Reactions: mguzzy
hmmm.. that's a new one. I would ignore that statement. You will be monitoring all your levels and adding the chems as you need them. It sounds like he is giving you a way to add CYA.. but I would add straight CYA when you need it.
Yesterday, I checked my water and my PH was good, CYA was non-existent so I need rectify that today with stabilizer. I am going to try the skimmer sock trick with granules. Can I still add salt along with stabilizer?

I will buy some liquid chlorine while I get my salt levels up to par.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes you can add salt and stabilizer at the same time.. have fun mixing! Squeeze the sock often to get the CYA into solution.. sweep the Salt from the shallow end to the deep end will usually dissolve that. Any other pools chems that would react with each other (like Chlorine and acid) you want to separate by 20-30 minutes while the pump is running.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.