Just drained pool, been on BBB method for the last week - using lots of chlorine

Kryshade

May 29, 2020
Arizona
Hey all!
After having lots of issues with our pool, realized our CYA was through the roof. Did a full drain/refill last week and used that as my opportunity to move to the BBB method. Got a K-2006 test kit as well and feeling comfortable with it now.
I'm also using Pool Calculator to calculate adjustments but here's my issue. I'm using almost an entire jug of bleach a day. I'm trying to keep the FC level at 5ppm. I'm testing every other day and it's always down to 1-2ppm.
I live in AZ and it's HOT and sunny and I know I'm going to struggle a bit here with chlorine burn off but does anyone have suggestions for me? I told my wife this was a great way to save money, but at almost $4/day in bleach I'm starting to get the stink-eye.
I've read that the first week or two can be a bit chaotic until things settle down (chlorine wise) so maybe I'm just in that initial chaos period?
Latest readings as follows:
FC: 1ppm (I just added 121 fl oz 48 hours ago)
CC: .4
TA: 150
pH: 7.6
CYA: 40

Thanks for the help and input!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Chlorine disappears from one of two things - the sun and consuming organic material. For the sun, you use a reasonable amount of stabilizer (CYA) to protect the free chlorine. This time of year in AZ, 40-50 is common, often times higher as the sun is extremely intense. But with those elevated CYA levels comes the need to keep the FC higher as well - See FC/CYA Levels. If at any time you let the FC fall below the minimum FC level, you run the risk of algae (cloudiness, green, or excessive loss of FC).

Excessive organic consumption is the other way to lose too much FC. That's why we have the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. Since your FC has been well below the required minimum FC level, I have a fear algae may be trying to grow. I would perform that Overnight Chlorine Loss Test starting this evening. Give that pool enough chlorine at dusk to be confident the FC is over 3 ppm. I would recommend more like 5-6 ppm. After you add the required dosage using the PoolMath APP, let the water mix for about 30 minutes then take your evening FC test. Then take another FC test in the morning before the sun hits the water. See if you lost more than 1 ppm of FC overnight. Let us know how it goes.

Reactions: Kryshade
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Chlorine disappears from one of two things - the sun and consuming organic material. For the sun, you use a reasonable amount of stabilizer (CYA) to protect the free chlorine. This time of year in AZ, 40-50 is common, often times higher as the sun is extremely intense. But with those elevated CYA levels comes the need to keep the FC higher as well - See FC/CYA Levels. If at any time you let the FC fall below the minimum FC level, you run the risk of algae (cloudiness, green, or excessive loss of FC).

Excessive organic consumption is the other way to lose too much FC. That's why we have the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. Since your FC has been well below the required minimum FC level, I have a fear algae may be trying to grow. I would perform that Overnight Chlorine Loss Test starting this evening. Give that pool enough chlorine at dusk to be confident the FC is over 3 ppm. I would recommend more like 5-6 ppm. After you add the required dosage using the PoolMath APP, let the water mix for about 30 minutes then take your evening FC test. Then take another FC test in the morning before the sun hits the water. See if you lost more than 1 ppm of FC overnight. Let us know how it goes.

Ok I just added 100 fl oz when I noticed my FC was 1ppm, Sun is going down so I'll test once it's down and again in the morning. Will report back. Thanks so much!

Reactions: Texas Splash
So I tested FC this morning. It was 5.2 last night (around 9pm) and 5.0 this morning (8am). However I felt like the water just looked a touch cloudy or green. I brushed down the sides of the pool and there was definitely some algae on the walls (could see small green clouds as I brushed). Should I go ahead and do the SLAM even though I didn't lose much overnight? There's definitely algae presence and I don't know that maintaining 5ppm will stop/rid me of what's in there?

You will need additional FAS-DPD reagents if you only have a K2006 (0.75oz bottles). Order now. Check TFTestkits.net

Did you end up SLAMing the pool?

I'm in the Phoenix, AZ area and I put in about half a gallon of 10% bleach every night to keep my FC up there. I also have my CYA at 50 to help with burn off from the sun. Every once in a while I might add more than half a gallon (maybe 96oz).

hope that helps give you an idea of how much you'll need to add after a SLAM.

Last edited:
I'm headed to Lowes to get lots of liquid chlorine for the pool this afternoon. Will start the SLAM tonight. Appreciate all the help on this. @Cwiggs man that seems like a lot of bleach daily but maybe that's what it takes here in AZ?

Have you checked Walmart for liquid chlorine yet? I find chlorine the cheapest at Walmart or if it's on sale, ace hardest. This is in the Phoenix area anyway.

If your pool is less than 21k gallons you might be able to put less liquid chlorine than I do.

AZ summers are brutal, that's why a lot of people recommend a SWCG.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I think I need advice here. Been doing the SLAM since Saturday night. Pool looks amazing now. It's crystal clear, water looks great and has for a couple days now. My issue is every time I test it I'm losing FC like crazy. I did an overnight FC test last night and lost 2ppm overnight so I know there's organic material consuming the chlorine. My CC is negligible. Sometimes it has the slightest hint of pink or none at all.
The big problem I have is I want to continue with the SLAM as directed, but no lie, I was just down to 15ppm FC out of the target 16. Added liquid chlorine, gave it 90 mins, went to test again and I was down to 14ppm FC. It's 111 today in Phoenix so it's brutal out, but can the sun really be burning it off at that rate? Should I raise my CYA to a higher level then 40?

I know it's likely that even though the water looks pristine, it's really not and there's some hidden algae war still going on, but I'm just amazed at the amount of FC loss I can be seeing in such a short time frame. Every time I check the pool (4-5 times a day) I'm adding 1-3 quarts of 10% liquid chlorine. I'm also burning through testing reagent like crazy. Do you guys do the .2ppm or .5ppm testing when looking to make sure you're maintaining SLAM levels?

Sorry for the rambling, and I know the SLAM can take time so trying to be patient, just looking for some verification I guess. Thanks!

It is time, under normal circumstances, for you to raise your CYA to 50 ppm. But in SLAM, you would be better off to wait.

If you pool is crystal clear without any debris occurring in the pool, you should pass the OCLT. Do you have a light niche? ladder? weir door? skimmer throat? all those places can hide algae.

Please fill out your signature. The information you provide helps us help you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.