Just curious as to how much you run your pump?

Run your pump to:
1) Skim pool surface (big benefit)
2) Filter debris (least concern)
3) Satisfy a salt water generator, chlorinator or heater

There's no hard and fast rules when it comes to pump time. If you can satisfy those three basic criteria in 1 hour, great. If it takes longer, it takes longer.

Many of us use a variable speed pump at low rpms 24/7. My pump uses 200 watts, so it's basically nothing on the electrical bill. Your 1hp 1 speed pump is drinking a lot of electricity, and should be replaced. The VSP replacing it will pay for itself very quickly and also give you a lot more flexibility.

Reactions: Newdude
A larger pump runs slower to pump the same amount of water. Many VSPs are 2.7hp, but hp is a poor measure of a pump, so that makes it confusing. The slower you can run the speed, the power savings are exponential.

For example - my VSP is running 1400 rpms at 200 watts. 3450 rpms (max speed) is 2.6 kW - more than 10x the electrical usage. A single speed only offers 1 speed, but you will never know the difference from running lower speeds, versus high speed.

Just took this pic today. Get a large pump and dial it down to where you need.

20230910_145505.jpg

24/7. But with a VSP, and I have a SWCG.

I ran about 6 hours a day with the old 2 HP single speed and liquid chlorine.

12 hours, it’s on a timer. We have a swcg and a 1.5 hp. pump. The swcg is in the process of being replaced right now. I’m waiting for the new one to show up.

Pumps will last longer with less on/off cycles. I run mine 24/7.

10 am - noon I turn on water features and sunset to 11:30 pm also do the same. Other than that, it mostly runs at this setting:

Screenshot_20230915-081845_1.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.