Just bought house with pool---probably hasn't been opened in 3 years...

It's heavy enough to settle down after each time we try to remove some. I didn't think about the damage too much bleach might do the liner, which is probably a few years old.

We are on a well (have 2 on the property) so draining partially and refilling shouldn't be a problem (unless well water poses a threat?)...so we may just rent a pump and dredge out some stuff. I like the idea of attaching it to a long pole and just sucking some stuff out. The pool is about 25 feet from a lake, and elevated enough that we could easily drain it that direction. While we were vacuuming, we were thinking it would be ideal to just be able to suck stuff out and have it NOT go thru the filter.

These pics are from today, after a couple of gallons of bleach and a few days of scraping gunk out. Overall, I am pretty pleased that we have made such progress! So glad I found this website!

photo[3].jpgphoto[2].jpg

Welcome, Hulligan. I had a swamp much like yours (foreclosure) three years ago and we couldn't drain due to water table and risk to liner.

(We just cross posted, so I'll try to update this post in response. Eg here's the link I mention down copy ;)
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/52373-Foreclosure-Swamp-in-Pensacola-Florida!/page4

I couldn't vacuum to waste either.
In retrospect, I might ave had good luck with a trash pump and laying a large plastic sheet over top, filling with fresh water as the pump expelled the sludge. But we weren't sure the well could keep up ;)

To get the sludge left after the leaves and frogs were gone, I used a cheap, garden-hosed powered "leaf gulper" which would get some of it, but also "stirred things up." You can buy one at any pool store or at the link I'll share, but line the bag with pantyhose for finer capture: http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Leaf-Gulper-Pool-Vacuum/dp/B002WKO8OK

With a sand filter, however, stirring things up helped eventually clear the silt. We kept the main drain line only half open to avoid clogs, but were able to filter 24/7. I slammed at the same time, which gave me more clarity over time to see the debris and aim my effort. Now and then I'd shut the pump off at night to let very thing settle, then attack the silt in am and then turn the pump back on.

Normally, SLAMMING is most effective when you've already removed debris, but if your in GA with warmer temps in your shoes I would slam now anyway to stay ahead of organics, even though you'll g through more bleach.

(I used 60 gallons and it was cold here ;))

After things settled down and I had clear (but silted) water, I was able to carefully vacuum the last corner to waste (you will see it in the picture I'm going to post.) that was about day 10 or 11.

If you decide to try the trash pump and don't wan to risk hurting/floating your liner, let me know and I'll try to find the link from a guy in FLA who used "the sheet method" to fill and pump at the same time.

Best wishes on your swamp conversion. The great part is by finding TFP you will be well-armed to care for your pool in a totally hassle-free way. Trust me that its worth the learning curve ;)

image.jpg

PS if you are 25' from a lake, I would not trust your water table even if you're elevated somewhat. Do not let your water level drop below having a good foot or so in the shallow end if you do pump, but sometimes even that modest approach can be problematic.

Your pool ideally needs to be full to maintain pressure against water table, and the closer you are to a body of water, the higher your table is likely to be. Sheet method will be much safer for your liner in your situation. I am on a river, uphill, but this is how I know. I located the original PB to discuss same, and a hydrogeologist, when purchasing the home.

GREAT posts Swampwoman! I think Hulligan's got plenty of options now, it's just a matter of picking a plan and working through it... and posting pictures!

As far as filling with well water, it should be fine unless you know or suspect there to be high iron content, such as a yellow or reddish color to it.

Best of luck to you!

One thing I would do as well before you get too far along is make sure you have a working pressure gauge on your filter. It's very necessary for knowing when to backwash through the process, which you'll likely be doing a lot of.

I second the pressure gauge, our's wasn't working right in the beginning and so we replaced it. We have a DE filter and I was backwashing a lot. I run the hose into the pool while backwashing to keep the water level up. As recommended on here, I bought a Hayward canister that has a mesh bag and can hook up to the manual vacuum. I haven't used it yet, i'm waiting on the other hose attachment for it, but it looks like it will get the leftover leaves and gunk/silt that is left without it having to get into the filter. When I tried to vacuum without one, I was backwashing every 5-10 minutes and then I had to take the whole filter apart and rinse it out. I am hoping the canister will eliminate the need for that, but in the meantime I brush, and scoop and let the filter run while things are all stirred up. Maybe something like that would work for you towards the end of your SLAM.

These pics are from today, after a couple of gallons of bleach and a few days of scraping gunk out. Overall, I am pretty pleased that we have made such progress! So glad I found this website!

That is very good progress! I'm impressed!

Oh Swampwoman...LOVE LOVE your pictures! That gives me such hope! I think the plan for this weekend is to see about renting a pump, maybe just try to get some stuff out. Then, start SLAMMING!

Sounds like a heckuva good plan! :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
SLAM DAY 1:

Before we started SLAMMING, we thought we'd dredge a little off the bottom. Thought we'd try the same method we used to empty a fish tank....fill the vacuum hose up with water from the water hose, and then get one end of the hose lower than the pool. And...it actually worked. Hubby would hold the end of the vac and I would fill up from the other end (holding it above my head) and when it was full, he would drop his end in the pool and I would toss my end down the hill. Can't believe it actually worked! Only drained a couple of inches out but it got a lot of sludge.

dredge.jpg

Then, I took the readings...pool math said to add 8 gal of bleach to reach Shock FC of 12-16. (we had raised the pH yesterday to 7.6). The 8 gal of bleach raised the FC to 26. So I must be doing something wrong (maybe I guessed wrong on the pool size? 8 ft deep end and 3.5 shallow, so I used 5 ft as the average depth?)

Took about 6 hours before it dropped to about 18. I'll test again before bed and again in the morning.

day 1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

You'll be amazed how much you know when you're done. Good luck.

oh my you are so right about that.

Keep on it. The more garbage you get out, the more effective your chlorine will be at clearing it up.

Drain the pool with a trash pump unless it has rained a lot or is going too....get some gloves, trash bags and a power washer and you will be done in a few hours. The other benefit of this is you can visually inspect your pool surface to better answer future questions (paint type of paint etc). Good Luck

I used the canister with the mesh bag today and it gained me about an extra 20 mins of vacuuming before having to stop and clean things out. I didn't have to open the filter and rinse it like before, just backwash or just empty the container and start over. It doesn't catch all the sludge but plenty of it. Just wanted to update since I used it. You are making great progress!

SLAM DAY 2

day 2.jpg

Used 10 gallons yesterday...quite sure there aren't any more frogs in there! Scrubbed sides, vacuumed a little, scooped a little, backwashed a few times.

Tried doing the CYA test. Mixed the chemicals as directed and poured it in the view tube. But, the liquid is crystal clear, so the black dot never disappears. Does this mean I have a CYA of 0? Did the test twice. Should I try to take care of this now while SLAMMING, or should I wait until later?

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.