Just bought house with pool, first, a question about our weird jets...

bkaiser

Aug 27, 2020
san antonio TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello from San Antonio! We just moved into our new home yesterday and I'm starting work on our pool which has been neglected and not updated for some time. The previous owner did not maintain his own pool, nor do I think he had a very competent pool company coming to do work on it. I myself am a complete novice to pools, so please be gentle!

The first thing I noticed was the Ortega valve to the jets was shut off when I arrived. The valve does leak a small amount and needs attention (I'd love advice on this as well), but it seems to be ok for now. I went ahead and slowly turned on the valve going to the jets and was met with some really intense pressure coming out of the jets which I didn't expect to see. There's also a gurgling noise coming from this vent on the coping, I;ve never seen a vent system like this. This pool is old so I'm sure someone might be able to shed some light on past systems that are probably long since outdated. The pressure out of the jets is akin to spa jets, but we dont have a spa, just the pool. I shot a video to show what I'm talking about, it also has sound and you can clearly hear the noise.

VIDEO

Worth mentioning also, we have very high water pressure at this house, around 90 PSI, not sure if that's effecting things too. We're working to get a PRV put on soon. Anyway, I'd appreacte any help I can get understanding what's going on!

Hi B, welcome to TFP.

I'm gonna guess that's just an in-pool sudo spa and bubbler system. Something you can just sit in front of to get a little spritz.

Have a go at filling out your signature, listing as much of your equipment as you can. Model numbers will help with your questions. Something similar to my sig. Post some pics of the pool and the equipment pad. And get yourself a high-quality test kit. We highly recommend one of only two kits. You should order one today, so that you can start dosing your pool yourself (and keep it from getting green(er)). You can find links on the page below that can help you get started. Once you get your kit, you can post meaningful test results and the experts here can help you sort out your gear and get your water crystal clear, well balanced and safe for you and your family.

The round "vent" is probably an air intake for the jets. If the nearby round thing is its lid, try closing it and see whether the air bubbles go away.

Hi B, welcome to TFP.

I'm gonna guess that's just an in-pool sudo spa and bubbler system. Something you can just sit in front of to get a little spritz.

Have a go at filling out your signature, listing as much of your equipment as you can. Model numbers will help with your questions. Something similar to my sig. Post some pics of the pool and the equipment pad. And get yourself a high-quality test kit. We highly recommend one of only two kits. You should order one today, so that you can start dosing your pool yourself (and keep it from getting green(er)). You can find links on the page below that can help you get started. Once you get your kit, you can post meaningful test results and the experts here can help you sort out your gear and get your water crystal clear, well balanced and safe for you and your family.

Thanks, I'm thinking those are therapy jets of some sort too, they are putting out a ton of pressure.

Before we moved in I purchased the K2006 kit, though I tried to test the FC yesterday and the readings were off the charts, I think they had recently shocked the pool. We took our water in to Leslies yesterday to be tested and it was around 11PPM FC. We're letting it die down a bit before testing again, running the pump 24/7 just to make sure things stay as clean as possible.

Trust the K2006. We can't offer you help using test results from Leslies. If you're interested:

Run a full suite of tests with the K2006 and post them here, like this, in this order, and we'll have a look.

FC –
CC –
pH –
TA –
CH –
CYA –

We'll also need your signature, as we need to know the size of your pool, it's basic construction and finish, etc.

Or you can use Leslies. We want you to be successful with your pool. But mixing and matching test results from two sources, and worse, advice from two sources, will not work. So just let us know if you'd like our help, if you need it, including help with how to use the K2006.

Worth mentioning also, we have very high water pressure at this house, around 90 PSI, not sure if that's effecting things too.
House water pressure will only affect the fill water supply. The pool has its own circulation and pump (pressure system) so it is independent of your house water pressure. The other posts have answered your other concerns. Do post some pictures of the pool and the equipment pad.

Very nice design. The pool plaster, coping, etc. is visually great based on the pictures for being 40+years. Do you know if it is the original plaster or if not, when they may have had a re-plaster? Thanks for updating your signature. Once you have your new test kit you can post the results and there is lots of help on the forum if you elect to follow the TFP methodology for pool care.
You may want to read up on following
Recommended Levels
YouTube for Testing Chemicals
TF100TestKit

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.