Just another question from me

Sep 7, 2018
Kansas
Hello again,
I just finished brushing my entire pool. Sides, bottom, tiles, ladder, steps, everything. I use a "Wall Whale" brush which has a spoiler that keeps the bristles against the wall or floor. I'm asking what is the "Dusty" stuff that comes up off the floor when brushing? Is it just dirt, pieces of leaves, air and water pollutants and bug remnants? Is it Algae? I use the same amount of 12% everyday and my pool is really clean, never hazy. Once in a while I boost up the Chlorine amount just to be sure it isn't Algae and it doesn't use more or less Chlorine the next few days, so I go back to my regular. When I brush it all up it dissipates into the nether regions like smoke into the air. There isn't a lot, but I just want my pool to be the best it can be. Maybe I should brush more often? I don't think my pump with it's 2 returns moves enough water for my liking, but what to do about that? I have a booster pump that was put in for an auto vacuume, but it really doesn't do much but split my surface water into the deep side vs the shallow side. I actually think it makes the skimmer not as effective. With that said and the extra electricity it uses, I don't use it at all, really. I backwash when my pressure changes by 3 or 4 lbs. but with the way I keep my pool clean and baskets with sock filters emptied, it's hardly even dirty water that comes out. Is there a way to check the pressure flow? I've had the sand filter changed out last year and a new impeller the year before. Am I just worried over a little bit of dirt and nothing else? Thanks for reading if you made it this far. Cheers.

Hello again,
I just finished brushing my entire pool. Sides, bottom, tiles, ladder, steps, everything. I use a "Wall Whale" brush which has a spoiler that keeps the bristles against the wall or floor. I'm asking what is the "Dusty" stuff that comes up off the floor when brushing? Is it just dirt, pieces of leaves, air and water pollutants and bug remnants? Is it Algae? I use the same amount of 12% everyday and my pool is really clean, never hazy. Once in a while I boost up the Chlorine amount just to be sure it isn't Algae and it doesn't use more or less Chlorine the next few days, so I go back to my regular. When I brush it all up it dissipates into the nether regions like smoke into the air. There isn't a lot, but I just want my pool to be the best it can be. Maybe I should brush more often? I don't think my pump with it's 2 returns moves enough water for my liking, but what to do about that? I have a booster pump that was put in for an auto vacuume, but it really doesn't do much but split my surface water into the deep side vs the shallow side. I actually think it makes the skimmer not as effective. With that said and the extra electricity it uses, I don't use it at all, really. I backwash when my pressure changes by 3 or 4 lbs. but with the way I keep my pool clean and baskets with sock filters emptied, it's hardly even dirty water that comes out. Is there a way to check the pressure flow? I've had the sand filter changed out last year and a new impeller the year before. Am I just worried over a little bit of dirt and nothing else? Thanks for reading if you made it this far. Cheers.
Are you logging all the chlorine additions and maintanence in pool math? It says you added some yesterday and before that it was 18 days prior. I also see a day where the FC was 2.
I’d think it depends on how often you are really checking the water and adding chlorine. You can do an overnight chlorine loss test and see if there’s some algae growing or not.

T,

The best way to tell is to run an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.. OCLT. See this link.. Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Basically, your pool should not use any FC at night.. If it does, you most likely have an algae bloom, even if the pool is clear.

What is your CYA and where do you normally run your FC level?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Are you logging all the chlorine additions and maintanence in pool math? It says you added some yesterday and before that it was 18 days prior. I also see a day where the FC was 2.
I’d think it depends on how often you are really checking the water and adding chlorine. You can do an overnight chlorine loss test and see if there’s some algae growing or not.
Most of the time I don't enter my daily tests. Also most of the time my FC in the morning is 4-6, the 2 was when I was gone for a couple of days.

T,

The best way to tell is to run an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.. OCLT. See this link.. Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Basically, your pool should not use any FC at night.. If it does, you most likely have an algae bloom, even if the pool is clear.

What is your CYA and where do you normally run your FC level?

Thanks,

Jim R.
My CYA starts in the spring at about 80 and averages around 60 the rest of the summer. The other day it hit 50 and I jumped for joy. I keep my FC around the 6 mark. I don't really lose FC at night.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.