Kentucky
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
31.45% Muriatic acid…I’ve read the warnings. I was not prepared for how nasty this stuff was. My god.

I tried my best to not breath any in. Turned my head back away as I poured it and held my breath as long as possible. Still got a shot of it up the nose. Burned the nose like something I’ve never experienced.

I can see why people refuse to use it. Does anyone have a good respirator option that would be rated to safely pour this stuff without having to worry about it?

I usually just make sure I do it during a non-windy time and pour it close to the water. Sometimes I cover my nose with my shirt if I think there could be wind flow while pouring. You can also try the lower % but it means pouring twice as much for the same result.

Reactions: DanWC
I use a respirator. Probably this one, or something like it:

But here's an important warning from one of our most respected members about using a mask like this (or just covering your nose like Kul does). Please understand this before you decide to use a mask. Your nose is your "early warning system." It alerts you (obviously) that acid fumes are in the air around your head. If you are not wearing proper eye protection, and you are wearing a mask that obscures this warning system, you could damage your eye tissue without realizing it. (How'd I do @JoyfulNoise?)

The better, safer solution is to buy and use "muriatic lite" from stores like Lowes. They generally sell the 14% stuff, which is way less dangerous and "fumie."

I spent a whole lot of time and threads on this issue, and devised several methods to circumvent it, including automating acid dispensing in my pool. I only handle acid a few times a year, and am only exposed to any fumes for a few seconds because of the MO I created, and the safety features built-in to the automation system I use. I only wear a mask as overkill. I am never around acid fumes for more than a few seconds, and have learned to handle acid safely. Others are more cavalier about its handling, but my opinion is that this is dangerous stuff and I only have two eyes and two lungs, so I treat it like nuclear waste material. The 14% option is slightly more expensive, but what are your eyeballs worth?

If you'd like more details about automation or my other handling tricks, I'd be happy to share.

31.45% Muriatic acid…I’ve read the warnings. I was not prepared for how nasty this stuff was. My god.

I tried my best to not breath any in. Turned my head back away as I poured it and held my breath as long as possible. Still got a shot of it up the nose. Burned the nose like something I’ve never experienced.

I can see why people refuse to use it. Does anyone have a good respirator option that would be rated to safely pour this stuff without having to worry about it?
Actually your first chemical was dihydrogen-monoxide. sorry, I couldn’t help myself…

If you lower the bottle of acid into the pool water just enough to let you tip the bottle over a bit so a pencil sized stream comes out that usually does just fine for me. Don’t hold it up in the air and splash and gurgle it around and it’ll release a lot less fumes.

I’d also advice against holding your breath because once you run out of oxygen you’ll take a big breathe of air in and may get more fumes than you would with just slow calm breathing.

You get the hang of it in no time.

I use a respirator. Probably this one, or something like it:

But here's an important warning from one of our most respected members about using a mask like this (or just covering your nose like Kul does). Please understand this before you decide to use a mask. Your nose is your "early warning system." It alerts you (obviously) that acid fumes are in the air around your head. If you are not wearing proper eye protection, and you are wearing a mask that obscures this warning system, you could damage your eye tissue without realizing it. (How'd I do @JoyfulNoise?)

The better, safer solution is to buy and use "muriatic lite" from stores like Lowes. They generally sell the 14% stuff, which is way less dangerous and "fumie."

I spent a whole lot of time and threads on this issue, and devised several methods to circumvent it, including automating acid dispensing in my pool. I only handle acid a few times a year, and am only exposed to any fumes for a few seconds because of the MO I created, and the safety features built-in to the automation system I use. I only wear a mask as overkill. I am never around acid fumes for more than a few seconds, and have learned to handle acid safely. Others are more cavalier about its handling, but my opinion is that this is dangerous stuff and I only have two eyes and two lungs, so I treat it like nuclear waste material. The 14% option is slightly more expensive, but what are your eyeballs worth?

If you'd like more details about automation or my other handling tricks, I'd be happy to share.
I am certainly open to any and all suggestions. I will absolutely be buy a full face respirator and likely will use the weaker stuff. Just not worth my health dealing with that stuff.

I am certainly open to any and all suggestions. I will absolutely be buy a full face respirator and likely will use the weaker stuff. Just not worth my health dealing with that stuff.

There is no health consequence. The odor threshold of MA is far far below any of the health and safety limits for it. You got a nose full of very diluted acid vapors and your body did exactly what it was supposed to do - it told you you were too close. Using a full face respirator is dangerous if it is not fitted properly and you don’t use it properly. You are far more likely to hurt yourself that way. If the vapors bother you, then use the half strength stuff as it doesn’t fume. Wasting time and money with a full face respirator is not worth it.

Just be sure any breeze is blowing from behind you as you pour a pencil sized stream into the pool from about 1 to 2 inches above the water. If the breeae is blowing in your face, go around to the other side of the pool or just wait to add muriatic acid.

No respirator or holding your breath needed.

Reactions: kul and DanWC
There is no health consequence. The odor threshold of MA is far far below any of the health and safety limits for it. You got a nose full of very diluted acid vapors and your body did exactly what it was supposed to do - it told you you were too close. Using a full face respirator is dangerous if it is not fitted properly and you don’t use it properly. You are far more likely to hurt yourself that way. If the vapors bother you, then use the half strength stuff as it doesn’t fume. Wasting time and money with a full face respirator is not worth it.
that’s a fair point. Reading the internet about this stuff is probably making me more nervous that needed.

that’s a fair point. Reading the internet about this stuff is probably making me more nervous that needed.
It's making you WAY more nervous than needed.
You do need to show it respect - just like other chemicals you use (whether in your pool or elsewhere).

It's making you WAY more nervous than needed.
You do need to show it respect - just like other chemicals you use (whether in your pool or elsewhere).
Yeah I was reading something that made it seem like the vapors could screw up your eyes? That’s not to say I wouldn’t use eye protection.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you do use eye protection, just plastic safety glasses (NOT goggles). This will help minimize direct splashes.
Goggles can trap the vapor and cause issues.

I use one of these:

The danger of goggles that Gene points out is something to consider. But anything that doesn't seal to your eyes can allow an errant splash to make it to your eye ball, which happened to me not too long ago. The shield solves for all that, while allowing the "warning fumes" to get to your nose. And it's a handy thing to have around for lots of other uses. Definitely worth 16 bucks

Last edited:
I use one of these:

The danger of goggles that Gene points out is something to consider. But anything that doesn't seal to your eyes can allow an errant splash to make it to your eye ball, which happened to me not to long ago. The shield solves for all that, while allowing the "warning fumes" to get to your nose. And it's a handy thing to have around for lots of other uses. Definitely worth 16 bucks
I like this idea. Thank you!

As I mentioned, I have a machine that does most of my acid dispensing. I have to fill it once in a while, but it allows me to turn a sealed acid jug upside down and lower it into the machine, where it pierces the seal. I can then walk away while it "glugs." Very safe, no "fumage."

When I have to add acid directly into my pool, I use a gizmo I fabricated that lets me quickly pour in the correct amount, and then I can walk away while it slowly dispenses the acid over a return. I went to a lot of trouble to make the thing (as I always do!), but I will have it and use it for decades, so it was worth the trouble. You could make something similar from a 2x6 for a lot less trouble. And then you, too, can be ridiculed without mercy by my pals at TFP!! :p

Here's a direct link to my ultimate solution for storing, carting and dispensing acid. It's part of a very long thread in which I explore with my fellow TFPers all sorts of acid-related issues (similar to what this thread is becoming). I've been using what I came up with for a few years now with no problems. Here:

Reactions: kul
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.