Just a couple of newbie questions

So my pool is literally an hour from being filled, with well water. I know the first thing I need to add is FC and CYA.
According to poolmath I should add 45oz of 10percent because I targeted 7. I just want to verify this is right?
second thing is CYA, I bought Clorox stabilizer granules from Walmart that says it's 100 percent. According to pool math at a target of 40 I should add 27oz by weight or 28oz by volume. Is this correct, and I'm stupid lol so can you explain the difference between weight and volume?
One more thing :D this pool doesn't have a skimmer, so is it okay to just float the sock around the pool or should I tie it to the side? You guys are awesome!! And thanks for the help in advance!

Hi Jackie,

You're correct on the FC and CYA. You can actually add them as it's filling. I don't think you necessarily need to wait so long as your chlorine level doesn't spike too high. The PoolMath calculations are fine. Obviously, you will want to test your water as well after you've added the chlorine. CYA may take a bit of time to dissolve. I use the Clorox stabilizer as well! Anyone who has done cooking is familiar with the ounce being a measurement of volume, however it can also be a measure of weight. 1 oz is 1/8 of a cup. However, 1 oz is also 1/16 of 1lb. Since you have solid granules, the accepted practice is to measure it by weight. This means measuring it out in a suitable container on a scale. Not based on the size of the container. The scale can then tell you how much mass of the stabilizer you have (Your target is 1 lb 11oz by the way). If you're planning on using Trichlor pucks, you may not want to put that much in as well. As far as the skimmer, I've always heard that you could hang it to a ladder and just agitate (squeeze) it every half hour or so to attempt to get it to dissolve even though you don't have a skimmer at the top of your pool.

Good Luck!

That's Iron.

Layer paper towels in the skimmer and they'll filter out some of it. If it turns brown and settles out, vacuum it up and be done with it. Metal sequestrant may also be in your future.

Use the search box for something like "green after bleach" and you'll gets lots of threads.

No it was crystal before.

- - - Updated - - -

I did do a search, but couldn't find any post with a clear answer as to how to fix it lol. Will this happen every time I add bleach? Also this particular pool doesn't have a skimmer, and it is starting to turn brown.

Jackie,

I'm sure Richard is correct. If you want to confirm there's a strip test you can buy at Home Depot. I've found it to be very reliable for detecting iron in well water.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.