Joining 1.5 PVC to Copper

Happy to say the new threaded copper/CPVC connection isn’t leaking anymore! Yay!
After testing it for a few minutes, I didn’t run the pump for 12 hours to let the other slip connections cure, and all is well now.

These flared copper connections abutting right next to the heater manifold were delivered like this from manufacturer, with male threads, and having beefy CPVC FPT as the union shouldn’t risk split as the SCH40. That’s my hope, but I was careful to not over tighten. Both threaded sides have a healthy slathering of liquid paste Teflon, and a tight layer of the beefy gray Teflon (Oatey FASTape).

Time will tell, but if time is any indication my heater will need to be replaced well before this fix will leak again. The new Raypak heaters with the Capron CPVC Bulkhead unions will be a welcome ease of hookup.

Has anyone else noticed the price jump in heaters ? Prices jumped 20% in a year! Is it this trade tariffs?

Yep, basic gas heaters were running about $1000-$1500 last time I looked (3 or 4 years ago), Not seeing much below twice that now - nothing to do with the Trumpster!

Luckily, the old Laars heaters will go on forever if you don't let them freeze in the winter. My Lite 2 lasted almost 20 before I incompletely drained it a few years back and cracked the manifold. I got a replacement for $1200 on line and swapped it out myself. Millivolt, so very straightforward.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.