Jets not blowing out water into pool?

Jul 14, 2017
Baton Rouge, LA
I just purchased a foreclosed home last month and have been working to get the pool back up and in working order. The pool and home sat vacant for 3 years, so it's quite a task!

When we got the pool there were 3 pipes coming out from the concrete slab. We assumed these were drain, skimmer, and return line. While the home was vacant parts of the pool system were stolen and in the process pipes broken. So we re-plumbed everything we could access, everything outside the slab. We now have a brand new pump and re-filled the filter with new sand. After getting all that finished we tried to start everything up yesterday and here is what happened...

We can set the filter to waste and drain from the main drain or skimmer. both those lines appear to be good and not clogged, and we have now identified which is which.

When we set the filter to recirculate we at first got some suction in the skimmer, but nothing blowing out the jets. We stopped it and then when we tried again it started to blow air bubbles and then water out the jets for about 1-2 minutes. Then the jets stopped blowing and the skimmer lost it's suction. After that one time, the jets will not blow at all and the skimmer has lost all suction.

If we unscrew the return line from the multiport and run the pump, we can see lots of water coming out. The filter has pressure of about 20 psi. When the return line is not connected to the multiport, there is suction in the skimmer. As soon as it's reconnected, no suction.

So... I am thinking maybe the return line is clogged? Would that make sense with these symptoms? Or is there something else that would cause these symptoms?

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance!

h,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all pool owners with clogged plumbing... the pools, not yours... :drown:

Your conclusions sound good to me...

I would plug up all the returns and then use a "Drain King" to force water backwards to your multiport.. (With the return line at the multiport disconnected..) Then I move to another return and try that one.. again with all the pool returns closed except the one you are using the Drain King on..

You could also try a simple plumbing snake, but I have never been too successful when using them on pools..

Thanks for posting and let's see if we can get a few more members to chime in...

Jim R.

Just wanted to update the post in case anyone else has this issue...

I tried all sorts of things myself, including the air compressor and snake to no avail. Had a local pool professional come out and look at it. He confirmed that the issue was with a clogged jet line. I believe he called it a "clogged head" or something similar. For now, as a temporary fix we just cut the line where we knew it wasn't clogged (where new pipping was) and then dry fitted another pipe to send the water back into the pool via a simple pipe over the edge. So right now we are by-passing the jets. It's not perfect because we don't get good flow, but at least we can circulate the water. We may end up going the route of a plumber with a camera to fix the jets when it's time to reconnect.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.