Jandy Watercolors Nicheless LEDs Failing at Alarming Rate

lodi

Bronze Supporter
Jun 26, 2019
Atlanta
In 2019 I replaced eight Jandy JLUC10-100 lights that failed after only four years of service (actually, half of them failed but they were discontinued so I replaced all eight). The new lights, Jandy JLU4C12W-150s, were much brighter and appeared to be of better quality, so I was ok with replacing the old ones. Last year, three of the new lights failed after only three years of service. They were replaced under warranty, so no problem. This year, two more of the new lights (replaced in 2019) are failing - one is completely shot, the other is showing signs of fatigue. I reached out to Jandy customer service and the rep I worked with in the past told me that these lights should not be failing at this rate, and that there may be an issue with the lighting system. I find this hard to believe. The system consists of eight threaded sockets connected to a junction box via 1” pvc conduit. The junction box is dry and clean and the lights were installed in accordance with the instructions. Pretty basic stuff. In replacing the warrantied lights\, at least one of them had visible signs of condensation on the inside of the lens, which I assume is the real issue. Are others experiencing this rate of failure? Are there any preventative measures that can be taken? I though about adding silicone to the water tight connector on the light but I doubt that wil do much. Is there a better light? Just curious. Replacing 2+ lights per year is expensive and should not be necessary. Thanks!

All pool color LED lights seem to fail after a few years.

Some people have tried to put silicone over any seals and seams to keep water out.

The manufacturers seem to have no incentives to improve the longevity of the pool lights.

Reactions: lodi
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.