Jandy variable speed pump

vgomez1

Silver Supporter
Oct 13, 2017
NTX
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Just replaced my old jandy stealth single speed pump with the jandy vsshp220dv2a. Did not buy the iq20 upgrade kit so my electronics are incompatible, but am trying to use the iqpump01 to run the pump. Can't get the iqpump01 or pump to turn on. All I did was connect the 3 electrical wires to the pump and the red/black/yellow/green rs485 connections. I restored power but can't get the iqpump01 to get power. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? Thx.

20230315_181358.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: .ben
So you have no signs of life from the iQPUMP box at all? (no lights?)

Is the pump still wired into the Aqualink box the same way (through the pump filter relay)? If so, is the pump currently "on" according to the Aqualink?

No sign of life from the iqpump.

The pump is still wired to the aqualink box, the pump light in the box does turn on.

Attachments

• 20230318_141536.jpg
    20230318_141536.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
If the Filter Pump relay is getting switched on, the pump should be getting power (and in turn the iQPUMP module). Do you have a multimeter to confirm that power is indeed getting to the pump? Trying to rule out a broken wire there somewhere.

If there's power at the pump, I would check across pin 1 and pin 4 (red and green wires) on the RS-485 connector and make sure there's power showing up there (10-12v DC IIRC).

Last edited:
Take a look at your pump manual. Jandy pumps tend to come from the factory set up to talk the protocol for the Jandy RS system and this protocol is different from the protocol of the IQpump01 controller.

There are some DIP switches on the pump that select which protocol the pump speaks. You likely have to change the DIP switch settings to be compatible with the IQPump controller.

I hope this helps

Reactions: generessler
The two dip switches (3 and 4) on this generation of Jandy ePump are only used when there is an on-board SpeedSet controller.

Older models of Jandy VSPs used switches 1 and 2 to determine whether or not they should supply power down the RS-485 line (e.g. it should NOT supply 10v when an Aqualink is connected, but it should if using a JEP-R or iQPUMP01). On OP's pump this is auto-sensing. Switches 3 and 4 are now used to determine pump addressing when a SpeedSet is used in conjunction with pre Rev. W Aqualink firmware.

OP, have you determined if you have 240v at the terminals on the pump?

Thx for the feedback and sorry for the late response - I've been ooc since Saturday.

In the pic below, the wires connected to the first and 3rd screws are 246v and go to the main power switches near my pool. The wires connected to the 2nd and 4th screws are going to the pump - they are not getting any power. Any ideas? Thx.

Attachments

• 20230323_183806.jpg
    20230323_183806.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 1
Looking at the manual for iqpump01 it appears the pump wires should be on the line side of the pump relay, getting constant hot instead of the load side.

If the load side isn't getting power, that relay is busted or the Aqualink isn't commanding it on. The Jandy manual technically says to hook it up to load anyway, like @Ahultin says, so may as well just do that.

Thank you all - I wired it in to the line side of the relay and now it's working.

It looks like the spa drain is pulling water faster than it fills - can somebody tell me which valves to adjust? The labeling wore off. Thx.

Attachments

• 20230325_132758.jpg
    20230325_132758.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 5

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The actuated valve at the suction side of the pump. It appears the spa suction (right side) is not closed completely off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.