Jandy Valve - Should it be moved?

Lucky,

I doubt it will make any real difference, but we need to know where to two inputs to your pump come from...

Most suction side inputs are from a Skimmer, Main Drain, or vacuum port... Tell us where you think the lines are coming from.

What happens when you shut off the Jandy valve now?

I assume you only have one skimmer, is that true?

Do you have a vacuum port in the side wall of your pool?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Lucky,

I doubt it will make any real difference, but we need to know where to two inputs to your pump come from...

Most suction side inputs are from a Skimmer, Main Drain, or vacuum port... Tell us where you think the lines are coming from.

What happens when you shut off the Jandy valve now? Um... I've never seen anything happen - but I don't remember ever shutting it off...

I assume you only have one skimmer, is that true? Yes - The one skimmer on the side of my pool

Do you have a vacuum port in the side wall of your pool? Yes -- a "side sucker"

Thanks,

Jim R.

Does this help? The pipe to the left of the Jandy I believe comes from the pool --- and the pipe to the far right is the one heading back to the pool with the filtered / chlorinated water.

Can you see my answers to your questions in colored font above?

I just don't even know what purpose this thing serves at all.

Last edited:
Lucky,

Everything attached to the input to the pump is called the "Suction Side" The pipes going back to the pool are called the "Return Side"...

I am assuming there are only two pipes coming out the ground and going into your pump... (Hard to tell looking down from the top..)

If you know for sure that the pipe on the right of the Jandy valve is from your skimmer, then that means that the pipe on the left side of the Jandy valve has to be from either the main drain or a vacuum port.. or a 2nd skimmer if you have one of those.

A vacuum port would be about a foot deep on the side wall of the pool and should have a spring loaded cover, which could be missing.. If you do not know if you have a vacuum line, you can just go to each pipe coming into your pool and make sure you can feel water coming back into the pool... If you find one that has a cap or has water flow out of the pool that would most likely be a vacuum port.

You can also just shut off the Jandy valve and see what happens... Does the pump still have plenty of water? Does the skimmer still work, can you see water flow?

If the Jandy valve controls your Main Drain, then it should not make any difference if you shut it off.. If it is for the main drain, I suggest that you only open it about 10%.. This will allow your skimmer to work better.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Lucky,

Everything attached to the input to the pump is called the "Suction Side" The pipes going back to the pool are called the "Return Side"...

I am assuming there are only two pipes coming out the ground and going into your pump... (Hard to tell looking down from the top..)

If you know for sure that the pipe on the right of the Jandy valve is from your skimmer, then that means that the pipe on the left side of the Jandy valve has to be from either the main drain or a vacuum port.. or a 2nd skimmer if you have one of those.

A vacuum port would be about a foot deep on the side wall of the pool and should have a spring loaded cover, which could be missing.. If you do not know if you have a vacuum line, you can just go to each pipe coming into your pool and make sure you can feel water coming back into the pool... If you find one that has a cap or has water flow out of the pool that would most likely be a vacuum port.

You can also just shut off the Jandy valve and see what happens... Does the pump still have plenty of water? Does the skimmer still work, can you see water flow?

If the Jandy valve controls your Main Drain, then it should not make any difference if you shut it off.. If it is for the main drain, I suggest that you only open it about 10%.. This will allow your skimmer to work better.

Thanks,

Jim R.

This is a ton of information -- and incredibly helpful. For now I am gonna ponder it all and look around the pool to see what other info I can gather for you before I reply.

I had already began the process of closing the pool -- so nothing is on for mew to test at the moment. Little kids needed me so I got side tracked all afternoon / night and never got to finish.

In the meantime -- I cannot say thank you enough.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.