Jandy TruClear- repair or replace?

Hattette

Jul 3, 2022
Greensboro, NC
I had a company install a pool Fall 2020 that pretty much dug a hole, dropped in a fiberglass form, installed the equipment (Jandy cartridge filter, variable speed pump, and TruClear chlorinator) they happened to have. I arranged the rest, which has been difficult but doable. It was the only way to get a pool at reasonable cost in 2020 in my area. I didn’t choose Jandy, and it was not easy getting everything working, but I worked with what I was given. Now my chlorinator shuts down every so often with a “no flow” error (although there is plenty of flow). I have gone on the internet, and there is a lot of negativity about Jandy and the TruClear. I have already had a bad experience with the local Jandy repair service. Last year I was trying to control my variable speed pump (yes, it really comes with no external speed control). I tried the iQ Pump01 but couldn’t get it to work so I finally made an appointment with the manufacturer recommended repair service. The guy who came claimed he knew about Jandy equipment but didn’t get the controller working. It turned out I knew more about the Jandy equipment than the repair man did. It was $400 for the device and over $100 for the service call down the drain. I added the aqualink control system myself, which does work consistently. Anyway, is this intermittent “no flow” issue usually repairable (I’m afraid I’m going to pay over $100 again for a service call where I can’t trust what I’m told I need) or am I going to have to replace the unit? If replacement is in the near future, what can I replace it with that is more reliable, user installable (assume I have the skills even if my spouse may tell you otherwise), compatible with the aqualink, and reasonably priced?

Welcome to TFP.

Are you sure the intermittent LOW FLOW error is caused by the Truclear and not by a dirty filter?

How has the LOW FLOW fixed itself?

What speed do you run your VS pump?

Problems like this sometimes manifest themselves when your water parameters are off. For instance, excessive scaling in the salt cell can cause sensor issues. Do you test your own water? Do you have scaling in your salt cell?

I have check the salt cell- no scaling. I normally run my pump at 1750 for 12 hrs a day. When I bump the speed to 2700, the TruClear seems to stay on more consistently. My filter does not indicate it needs to be cleaned, but I have not opened it up. I do daily testing of chlorine/pH (I use Water Guru and sometimes test strips) and more detailed testing by a nearby pool store every 2 or 3 weeks. I just found this website, and have been convinced that I need more at home testing capacity. I am at this moment trying to decide which Taylor Test Kit to buy so I can do more detailed/reliable home testing. One of the things I read before finding this website is that the sensor on the TruClears have a tendency to corrode and there is a circuit board that can go bad - either problem can result in the “no flow” message when there is flow. I was thinking my unit is not fully broken but on its way. For now, the fix has been to run the pump at a higher speed.

The Taylor TF-100 is the kit to buy with the saltwater testing option.

Try calling Jandy yourself they may just send you a new cell.

My filter does not indicate it needs to be cleaned, but I have not opened it up.
For now, the fix has been to run the pump at a higher speed.

It sounds like the first thing you should do is clean your filter if running your pump at a higher speed makes the cell work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.