Clermont FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
My neighbor has had to have his Jandy TruClear control touch panel replaced 4 times under warranty. The touch pad buttons become non responsive and locked on the last setting still reading on the display and SWG still working. I think its because its getting direct sun (almost due south) here in FL and the pressure sensitive black panel “buttons” gets “baked”... Has anyone else seen or heard of this? The pool company doesn't agree..

Attachments

• 27BB5507-E3AC-402B-A60B-F9914B48303F.jpeg
    27BB5507-E3AC-402B-A60B-F9914B48303F.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 16
I would suggest your neighbor put a reflective cover over the touch panel or otherwise try to shield those buttons and LCD display. Here in AZ gas stations that have pump screens facing the sun used to put a mesh cover over the screens all the time. You had to lift the mesh up to use the screen. Jandy should certainly remedy the defect in their material choices but you won’t see any fixes until after they’ve cleared their inventories of current product and finish working on a new product revision. That could be years before they make any changes.

Reactions: ckendalls
I would suggest your neighbor put a reflective cover over the touch panel or otherwise try to shield those buttons and LCD display. Here in AZ gas stations that have pump screens facing the sun used to put a mesh cover over the screens all the time. You had to lift the mesh up to use the screen. Jandy should certainly remedy the defect in their material choices but you won’t see any fixes until after they’ve cleared their inventories of current product and finish working on a new product revision. That could be years before they make any changes.
Agree.... I’ve suggested the reflective cover idea a few times to the neighbor or that the unit be “boxed” after it was replaced twice. It gets very hot. The pool builder says “we use this all the time in the FL ☀️ “ No problems...

This is interesting to me, as my Jandy equipment is on the east side of my house. I was wondering when it was being installed if the direct sun will cause problems. Ill pay more attention to see exactly how long it is in direct sun.

Agree.... I’ve suggested the reflective cover idea a few times to the neighbor or that the unit be “boxed” after it was replaced twice. It gets very hot. The pool builder says “we use this all the time in the FL ☀ “ No problems...

With the transformer in the box, it could be a combination of the sun and internal heat generated by the power supply during chlorine generation. I don’t know what the internal layout looks like but they may have located the power transistors and transformer too closed to the LCD panel. Putting the entire unit in a box may not be the best idea as that can cut down on air flow and cooling. Installing an awning over the top of it or shielding the display would be the easiest way to avoid external heating.

I think it is just cheap manufacturing and lack of quality control. Newer pool products seem to have simplier, lower quality, controls to reduce costs.

Well, the other problem is that the panel is black plastic. In direct sun, that black colored plastic will heat up A LOT. I had something similar happen to a pair of landscape transformers that had built-in daylight sensors and controls for setting the on/off time (dusk-till-dawn (d2d), d2d with timer, on/off, etc). The LCD, buttons and sensor were all built into a plastic housing on the front of the transformer box (reflective steel) that was black plastic. The plastic was always a lot hotter than the surrounding metal. After 2 seasons of being in direct afternoon sun, the front panel controls were totally shot. I was told by the manufacturer that they shouldn't have been installed in direct sun exposure and that it was not covered under warranty. Suffice it to say, they no longer get any business from me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.