Damascus, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Just checked my neighbor's TruClear he was having issues with it and the very center plate on the cell is eaten away on both sides like over 1/2" in a very jagged manner. The other plates look fine. He did soak it in a muriatic solution to clean it last season but even at full strength I don't think it could do that. Any ideas? Just curious he is going to have to order a new cell ($300) since the system shows "check cell" when you try to generate.

Historical pH the pool water was kept at?

Otherwise sounds like a manufacturing defect. What is the warranty of the SWCG?

I really don't like the reliability we are hearing about the TruClear cells.

Reactions: Frank in FL
The cell started working all by itself again. He already ordered the new one so he'll at least have a spare if it fails altogether. I advise to test chlorine every day to make sure it didn't fail while he wasn't looking. We'll see! It is funny just the center electrode is eaten away the others are fine.

The center electrode gets the most current. That's why it gets corroded the most.

One polarity goes to the center plate and the other polarity goes to the two outer plates.

The corrosion happens where the center wire connects to the center plate.

There's usually a metal post that's welded to the plate where the wire connects. That's where the corrosion happens.

The corrosion might be accelerated due to the heat from welding the post to the plate, the high current density or some combination of factors, but the center plate is usually the only place where you get a lot of corrosion.

Last edited:
Reactions: JodieM and PoolGate

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If I’m thinking correctly, check cell is programmed to come on after a certain number of hours runtime. It is to remind you to unscrew the lid and physically check the cell for scale or debris.

If I’m thinking correctly, check cell is programmed to come on after a certain number of hours runtime. It is to remind you to unscrew the lid and physically check the cell for scale or debris.

According to the instructions there are 2 conditions that cause that error. Both essentially are terminal. He bought a new cell so he's good.

Reactions: JodieM
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.