Jandy Pump & Pentair Solartouch

purcilas

Mar 29, 2022
Orlando, FL
Hi everyone, first time posting here and somewhat of a new pool owner (came with the house).

I just upgraded the pool pump from a single speed Sta-Rite to a Jandy 1.85HP VS pump. The pool also has solar panels but did not have an automatic controller.

I just purchased the Pentair Solartouch controller and looking to wire it up as I understand they are compatible. Ive read the manual but still don't fully understand how to properly wire the solartouch and the pump.

Does anybody have experience wiring these up together? I also have the IQPUMP01 controller so I can control the pump from my phone.

Thanks in advance!

According to Jandy tech. support a Pentair Solar Touch will not communicate directly with their pumps. Newer Jandy automation will communicate with Pentair VSP pumps. You would likely lose the iQpump01 control if it did. The Solar Touch can be set up as a "solar only" control to turn the solar on (rotate the valve) when the conditions are right. You just need to have the speed set so that there is enough flow that the panels will fill during normal "solar" hours. Usually between 11:00am - 5:00pm here in Northern California. Jandy no longer makes a stand-alone solar controller.

After over 3 decades in the business, one of the reasons I like this forum is that there are still things to learn with all the issues I read about. Yours was an interesting question that I might come across locally, so I called both companies. Pentair tech wasn't sure and couldn't find the answer. Jandy said, "no." If you read the set-up for a VSP, the speeds need to be set in the pump itself. Pentair pumps have that ability as their controller is built in to the drive. Jandy pumps have the speeds set in whichever controller you happen to use, like your iQpump01. I have never like Jandy having to buy a pump and then a separate piece of equipment to control it.

Hm I already have the Solartouch so not sure if I should return it then. Don’t want to be out $400.

I found someone on Reddit that did successfully set it up but they have the JEP-R not the iqpump01. Not sure if that makes a difference.

After over 3 decades in the business, one of the reasons I like this forum is that there are still things to learn with all the issues I read about. Yours was an interesting question that I might come across locally, so I called both companies. Pentair tech wasn't sure and couldn't find the answer. Jandy said, "no." If you read the set-up for a VSP, the speeds need to be set in the pump itself. Pentair pumps have that ability as their controller is built in to the drive. Jandy pumps have the speeds set in whichever controller you happen to use, like your iQpump01. I have never like Jandy having to buy a pump and then a separate piece of equipment to control it.
I was reading the manuals and noticed that Solartouch can use dry contacts and that the Jandy pump had 4 dry contacts with pre-determined speeds. Contact #1 default to 3000RPM which is what I need to get water up to the roof. Would I be able to take advantage of this and still keep the IQPUMP01 using RS485 connection?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.