Raleigh, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Surely this question has been asked, but I can't find a forum thread. How does everyone feel about valves? Are there good alternatives to Jandy valves?

I'm replacing my pump, plumbing is tight and original installer didn't use unions, I'm going to have to sacrifice one valve.

Not really. If you want the valve to survive and be repairable, they are the best.
Don’t want to hi-jack this post, but might a little. Hoping OP could benefit as well.

When I moved in to my house with a pool, the 3 suction lines had a push/pull kind of valve. They appeared to be original so were about 10 years old. The stem in at least one was leaking (bubbles in the basket) so I replaced with jandy’s.

The only thing I don’t like is that when I close the pool and blow out the drain, I do not get a good seal with the Jandy. The push/pull (maybe it’s called a gate valve?) sealed nicely. So obviously that wasn’t the one with the stem leak. My work around is that I have to put an expanding plug into the suction side when I close to keep the air in that line.

Curious if this is possibly a faulty Jandy valve, or if this is typical. FWIW, the next time the pool builder came to close the pool, he said that’s why he doesn’t use Jandys. However, when I replaced the liner and that same Joe Shmoe walked all over my $4k liner with a cigarette dangling from his mouth kicking out wrinkles . . . . Let’s jusy say never saw him again and learned to close on my own.

Surely this question has been asked, but I can't find a forum thread. How does everyone feel about valves? Are there good alternatives to Jandy valves?

I'm replacing my pump, plumbing is tight and original installer didn't use unions, I'm going to have to sacrifice one valve.

Mick, post up some pictures of your equipment pad and we’ll see if we can come up with some solutions. We’ve got some good plumbing people here. @jimmythegreek

Reactions: setsailsoon
Nova the jandy's seal well I have positive shutoff always. You can open the valve with the 8 screws on outside and inspect the diverter gasket. I'd bet its damaged. Never had an issue yet winterizing a pool and them not sealing enough to do so.

Mick post ur pad pics we can help

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.