Jandy LXi250N Heats sometimes-help needed

Sinnerman

Jun 10, 2019
Hamilton, ON
As the post says the heater came with the house when we bought it. Natural gas. this year at startup it would heat for a few seconds then quit. Fault ignition control. Replaced the ignitor and flame sense rod. Had the gas manifold and orifice professionally cleaned. Still getting the same fault. Now it runs through the pre-start and then the click of the gas valve opens then puff of gas ignition and then nothing. What can i check next? I have continuity from the Fenmar to the flame sense tip.

Thanks for the responses. Measuring the resistance on the ground wire of the Fenmar to the ground lug and the burner box I read 0.9 ohms. Measuring DC voltage at FC +/- i get 0.32 volts. this would indicate very low to zero current from the flame sense rod. Ground wires look in reasonable shape. 24V supply measures 22.9 to 23 volts

Last edited:
The flame current is measured from the flame sensor rod through the flame to the burners and back to case/cabinet ground. The ground terminal on the Fenwal (along with the 24V terminal) allows the Fenwal to be powered and operate its circuits and relays. The ground terminal on the Fenwal is only indirectly connected to the flame sensing. The current passing through the flame to ground must pass through the Burner to the burner supports to case/cabinet ground. Any dirt/corrosion of the burner, burner supports or case/cabinet ground will effect the strength of the flame current.

Kinda similar to the battery operated spark that lights the burners on a Weber grill. If the electrode or the grounding surface on the burner are too dirty, the spark will be too weak to light the burner ( or also a weak battery ).

Update. Tech pulled apart the complete burner box. The burners are in rough shape. Flame pattern/burn is uneven and ground path signal is being interrupted. Question. Does it make sense to replace the burners or buy a new heater? I am guessing the heater is about 7 years old.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.