Jandy LXI - Repeat Fuse Fault Link Issues - Accessing heat exchange

Jul 9, 2014
Canada
I posted this last year.

I replaced the vent temp fuse and never had a problem. This year fired things up and had no issues the first day, but eventually got the same issue.

Checked continuity and the fuse is no good. While I look to get a new one what else can I do to check the system for the underlying issue of those fuses going.

I've seen other threads mention looking at the heat exchange and cleaning out the orifices. I can seem to find any instructions or details on how to access the heat exchange on my LXI. I also took off the vent top but nothing really to shop vac in there.

Thanks.

That fuse is temperature sensitive. If things are getting too hot in that location, it is an indication that there is perhaps a venting issue. If the vent is obstructed, then the hot gasses begin to back up, and the heater is designed to expose those hot gasses to that location first. Fusible links rarely fail. If yours opened, it probably did its job.

With that particular heater, you may want to have a tech come out to inspect the heater for proper operation and venting both inside the heater and out (flue). I realize that the whole point of this web site is to educate and encourage DIY repairs. But when it comes to heaters, it is sometimes best to have an authorized guy to look at it. My advice would be that once you get the all clear from your guy, run the heater for a few min every week, every other week, once a month, what ever would be practical for your heaters environment. Some areas may not need to run the heater that often while others have lots of critters that like to call heaters home. and frankly, that is the #2 killer of heaters while the #1 would be water leaks in the heater.

Thanks for the reply. My heater is outdoors, and no obvious obstructions outside the unit. I took off the vent cover and snapped some pictures inside where I couldn't visibly see from above. Nothing jumps out. I think I'll replace the fuses and try running it for a short time as you suggested. Meanwhile I'll give someone a call to come out and take a look. It did run for a couple hours before the issue started, so maybe something internal is going on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.