Jandy LXi CHECK IGN CONTROL

moldyCrow

May 3, 2020
Burlington, ON
SO, I've seen some other threads on this and gone through all of the steps to fire up our heater. It turned out I had 2 separate external gas taps, one of which was off. I resolved that. Gas is definitely flowing to the unit and it attempts to fire.

What I end up getting is blasts of hot air coming out of the top vents; like puffs, 5 or 6...then it cycles for a minute and tries to fire up again. Does this sequence 4 or 5 times, then I get the Check IGN Control.

I can hear gas flowing from my gas meter when it is firing (blasts of hot air). I can smell gas just before it fires (clearing out gas in the line). Any thoughts?

Can you please provide some background? How long has the heater been installed, are you just now opening. When was the heater last run successfully?

If you're getting a flame this indicates your sensors are working properly and you have gas supply. The possibilities are:
  • Bad connections most likely to the ignition module or a sensor
  • Bad ground in the flame sense circuit
  • Bad ignition module
Check the simple stuff first. Clean the flame sense rod with a dollar bill not anything more abrasive than that. Then check the wire connection. Remove, clean and reinstall the wires on the ignition module starting with the ground wire. Then clean and replace the connection where the ground wire connects to the raceway that contains the module.

Many people seem to start by replacing the module before it's tested and this rarely solves the problem. The module is actually very reliable. If the easy stuff doesn't work then try diagnostics on the module but it requires very small clamping micro connectors that you'll probably need to order. In the articles Allen references you'll see two techniques. One requires a fairly expensive ammeter that measures millionth's of an amp. You can also measure voltage but this requires micro-clamps or 2 mm wire wrap extension wires. I've used the voltage technique with great success on these modules. They are an indirect way of measuring the current but seem to work well. If you're reading 4 to 8 volts the ignition module is likely bad. But first check the easy stuff, it's usually the culprit.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.