Jandy JXI wiring question & booster pump wiring

Sk8Surfr

May 28, 2016
South Florida
I am installing a propane JXI. I am trying to figure out how to wire the low voltage part to the Pentair Intellicenter.

I am reading the Pentair manual about that - it says remove the heaters fireman jumper - which is that on the Jandy? I'd like to just run a 2 wire from the Jandy to the intellicenter (if possible) to connect to the GAS Heater connection in the Pentair (J2 terminal).

The Jandy documentation talks about 'Connecting to an aqualink control system or remote TSTAT (2 wire connection). I'm assuming this is directions I follow? And then when I set a temp on the Pentair system it's basically just an on/off switch for the heater?

Also - I'm guessing this is against code - but to save space in my panel - can't I just use my 240v double pole 15 amp GFI breaker that I have in the loadcenter for the booster pump to power the heater too? They won't both be running at the same time.... The pump is wired to a relay - I'd wire the heater directly to the breaker.

Yes, that's the way I did mine for the Jxi on Intellicenter i8PS. Make sure you set the temp on the Jxi local control pad to max (104 I think) as well as enter program mode on the pad and select TSTAT for remote "type".

Another option to save breaker space is to wire it for 120 v. Very easy to do and normal load is about 1 amp. Also, I don't know if this is OK by code but I'd also consider wiring it to a separate relay powered from the load side of the filter pump relay. This is often done for swg to provide protection against cell powered with no flow. I'm not a code expert so let's ask @ajw22 to comment on this before you try it.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

Yes, that's the way I did mine for the Jxi on Intellicenter i8PS. Make sure you set the temp on the Jxi local control pad to max (104 I think) as well as enter program mode on the pad and select TSTAT for remote "type".

Another option to save breaker space is to wire it for 120 v. Very easy to do and normal load is about 1 amp. Also, I don't know if this is OK by code but I'd also consider wiring it to a separate relay powered from the load side of the filter pump relay. This is often done for swg to provide protection against cell powered with no flow. I'm not a code expert so let's ask @ajw22 to comment on this before you try it.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris
I have 2 spaces left and 2 relays left. Was hoping to save them for future if possible

I do have 1 space now just for the control center itself - I guess I could tie into that one to save space as well. Or to my low voltage lights (gfi). Heater needs gfi breaker?

Your other point is a good one. My salt system is hooked to get power only when the main pump it on. What would be my failsafe for the booster pump? If the main pump trips my booster could still kick on without the main pump running and fry it I’m assuming.

Current NEC requires GFCI breaker for gas heater.

You can put the heater in the same CB as the booster pump.

I did purchase one but not all installations do this. It's very easy to install. I'm sure there are arguments pro and against. About half the installations in my area have it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.