Mudwiser

May 18, 2024
Houston, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a Jandy JXI 400,000 BTU gas heater with check ign steps fault. My problem is I can hear it ignite the flame but a second later I can here the flame go out. We had some bad storms here the other day and I wonder if it could be related to that. Thanks in advance for any help getting a fix for this.

Welcome to TFP.

Maybe a flame rectification (sensing) problem. @setsailsoon fought that for a while at his previous house.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mudwiser
Mud,

I had a very similar situation with my jxi heater several years ago. I spent weeks and weeks diagnosing this. I tried virtually everything you can find in the troubleshooting manuals and the traditional way to diagnose and fix flame sensing problems. I had exactly the same heater that you have. My problems started after severe weather in Florida and we had almost a direct strike to a palm tree about 5 ft from our house. The tree exploded and it fried the Jandy automation plus my security system in a few other things. I replaced the automation with intellicenter. But I couldn't get the heater to work. Exact same symptoms. I had tested everything from the Fenwal ignition control to remain control board and everything in between. All of the sensors tested out fine but the sensing voltage and never seem to be right. I knew this was the problem but couldn't ever imagine that the lightning strike actually damaged my power wires causing tiny little pinpoint Burns in the insulation on the conductors. It's very easy to check. Just run a separate power wire from the main breaker to the heater. Disconnect the original of course. My heater worked instantly. So I just pulled out the Old Wire and snaked the new wire into the heater. It felt great to get it fixed but it was also amazing how much stuff I did to that either and how many times I took it apart. This all happened about 4 years ago and the heater is still going strong.

The flame sensing technology is remarkable and Incredibly reliable but it's also super sensitive to any kind of leakage to ground since it detects micro amps of current to ground througha flame. Just a little leakage through the insulator is enough to make mine go Haywire. I hope this helps you.

Chris

Reactions: Mudwiser